Normal coolant usage?

My 2018 VRS TDi DSG had the “check coolant level” warning come on the next day following a 150 mile drive after collecting my car from the airport carpark where it was sitting for 3 weeks.

Car is just over 6 months old with 8000 miles.

When I looked under the bonnet the coolant level was indeed about a centimetre below the “minimum” line.

I’ve never had to even top up the coolant before on any previous cars I owned so I was wondering if this is quite normal usage for this car after such a short amount of time?

(I did give the car a bloody good thrashing up the motorway from Dublin to Belfast after a late flight...)

Think I'd top it up and keep an eye on it.  Call the dealer to register your surprise so it's logged.  Your spirited drive could've cleared a bit of air, but if it repeats, I'd book it in and have it checked.

Worth looking for any water marks just in case it's seeping from somewhere.

Gaz 

• Like 1

There are other threads here regarding the coolant loss. Mine also had it, even though I drive it no different to previous cars. When I first serviced it I brought this up. They couldn't find any leak and said it will go away sometime before 30k km. No clear explanation why but the funny thing is it did. I have not had any change in its level and now all seems fine. Anyway, keep an eye on it and if needed ask them to check for leaks. Good luck

• Like 1