Advice re purchasing a VCDS cable

MRW

Hi All

I am completly new to this VCDS machines ( I am an oily hands and spanner man )

So Please be gentle with me .

I have recently purchased a 2015 Yeti SE and reading various letters in the forums regular mention is made of "needs to be set in VCDS."

I have looked on Rossteche site and it appear you have to pay  £250 for there set up yet on ebay they seem to be £25 or less.

??? what am I missing ??

If I just want to do simple checks and attivations eg the welcome home lights ETC what do I need and what can I expect it to cost me .

As Stated at the at the  begining I am a bit of a mechanical dinasor/ Home Diy er   and need to move into the modern world 

any advice will be gratefully acepted Thank you in advance regards

Mike

Basically Ross-Tech wrote the software and regularly supply updates (FOC) 

eBay / Amazon etc are hacked versions, most cannot be updated, non get support and some can even screw up your cars electrics big time. 

With VCDS you get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

• john999boy changed the title to Advice re purchasing a VCDS cable

Advice is if you only really need 1 or 2 things done it might be easier and less hassle to find a member.

I only really bought my interface as I had multiple cars in the family + neighbours cars that were all VW group.

19 hours ago, bspman said:

Advice is if you only really need 1 or 2 things done it might be easier and less hassle to find a member.

I only really bought my interface as I had multiple cars in the family + neighbours cars that were all VW group.

Apart from now you can only use it on a few cars without buying more VINs.

You can see why they have done this to cut down on forum members helping out other users instead of them buying their own interface

Thank you Folks for all your replies .

I will

not get one of the cheapies in the mean timme I will seek out a member near to me in gloucester .

The main thing I wanted to do was activate the comming home lights that do not operate on my 2015 SE Business edition.

I hope I am correct in thinking it is just something that needs setting by a VVCDS.

regards to All

Mike

2 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

Apart from now you can only use it on a few cars without buying more VINs.

You can see why they have done this to cut down on forum members helping out other users instead of them buying their own interface

Agreed on newer interfaces - I've got an older one though, but I guess it has less functionality.

Given the cost of used 'unlimited' HEX-USB+CAN interfaces on eBay, it probably makes more sense to buy a 10-VIN HEX-V2 and upgrade it to unlimited if needed.

Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable to charge £10-£15 when a VIN is used on a VIN limited interface. After 8 or 9, it would more or less cover the 10-VIN to unlimited upgrade :)

That's based on today's prices where:

- eBay HEX-USB+CAN is £325-£400

- new 10-VIN HEX-V2 is £299

- 10-VIN to unlimited upgrade is £169 or $169 (£135)