How to clean the rain drain near windshield?

bencio

Hi, it's the first time i write on the forum but i'm reading it since i got my 2013 citigo.

I have a bit of a recurrent problem: with autumn and it's heavy rains i get a water sound from behind the dashboard, and, last year i even got water in the passenger footwell.

This year as soon i started hearing water sound i went to a dealer to solve the problem, he said that he just had to clean the water drain, and gave my car bak in just 30 minutes and charging me 40€, i asked how to do it myself but he didn't want to show me.

Since i saw here someone can do it, can someone please post some photos showing me how to do it? i would hate to have to pay again 40€ next autumn for a job that i know i could do if only i knew how.

Thanks very much.

Easy way with no need to remove anything......open bonnet. At each end of the black plastic moulding, there is a gap. Take a torch and look inside....you will see a rectangular drain-hole (one at each side of the car)....these get blocked with debris/leaves and prevent water from draining out behind the front wheel.  Take a long pointed object ( a bbq skewer for example) and make sure that these holes are clear.....you should then be able to pour water into the plenum chamber (that's what it's called) and watch it drain out behind each front wheel. Job done.

The other way is to remove the black plastic moulding.....but it may be awkward/difficult to replace it properly.

• Like 2

There is a rubber seal which hold the black plastic moulding. Remove rubber seal (just pull it off) and lift the black plastic moulding, gently. Do not lift more than needed to get your hand under plastic moulding. You can't remove plastic moulding completely this way but enough to clean those leafs off. This way I have cleaned it several times.

Edited by Emil
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thank you all for this advice. I can recommend Aquapur Multi-Purpose Cleaning Brushes for this job. It's a set of 3 long (8 inch plus handle) thin brushes for cleaning drains etc. Perfect for this job and cheap from Lidl or Aldi.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...