Gearbox oil

I'm just wondering if anyone has or recommends changing the gearbox oil? My car is a 2010 1.9td with the 5 speed box. and it's on about 115,000 miles now. 

I know the destruction manual will probably not have a schedule for oil replacement so I don't intent to look. I'm more keen to find out what popular opinion on the matter is these days. It looks like there's a proper drain plug, which is more than can be said for my Vauxhall, which had to have a plate removed from the bottom and a new gasket fitted.

Julian

My MK1 with a 5 speed box did 325000 miles before being scrapped all on the original gearbox oil, never a problem, a few years back when I did some very long distances towing a far too large and far too heavy trailer there would be a slight whine heard in the intermediate gears when the transmission was really working hard in very hilly areas but always reverted to normal the next day in normal use.

My MK2 5 speed has similar mileage to yours, has always been looked after and I want to keep that up so like you had also been thinking of changing the gearbox oil.

• Sponsor
12 hours ago, JulianS said:

I'm just wondering if anyone has or recommends changing the gearbox oil? My car is a 2010 1.9td with the 5 speed box. and it's on about 115,000 miles now. 

I know the destruction manual will probably not have a schedule for oil replacement so I don't intent to look. I'm more keen to find out what popular opinion on the matter is these days. It looks like there's a proper drain plug, which is more than can be said for my Vauxhall, which had to have a plate removed from the bottom and a new gasket fitted.

Julian

Changing it can never do any harm, gear oils do not have to deal with combustion by products like an engine oil so can go a lot longer. They do however shear down (thin) over time with use.

We recommend this oil from Fuchs for it https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-976-fuchs-titan-sintofluid-fe-sae-75w-synthetic-manual-transmission-oil.aspx

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by oilman

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is reading this still, I have done the job.

It is not straightforward and expecting the fill and drain plugs to perform in accordance with their descriptions will leave you sadly mistaken.

The drain plug at the rear, on the diff housing only drains less than half the contents, to drain it all you have to employ the special procedure as per the link. Filling has to be done by volume via the reverse light switch orifice. Failure the do this will result in a box with very low oil level.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/pdf/a5translevel.pdf

Regards Julian.

Edited by JulianS
  • Like 1