Clearance for snow chains (scout)

I have just changed the rim from the 17 inch 225 summer tyres/rims to 16 inch with 205. The rims are 6.5 j( 16 inch) there is circa 23 mm clearance between the tightest point of the Tyre to the shock. 

I have read on this fourm that 16 inch with 6 j rims can take conventional snow chains. 

I am surprised that the use of chains is limited to 6 j rims. My 16 inch are rebranded Audi rims.

I have read on snow chain retailer sites that 16mm is required for a 9 mm link snow chains.

I have purchased the michellin easy on Evo 7 despite some very negative reports. If I need chains it will only be for about a mile.

Clearance for discussion please

Regards

Tsm

If you would only need chains on for a mile then why use chains, Snow Socks are easy on and easy off and will do the job.

On for the ice or snow the tyres are not any use in and off for the black top. 

If the wheels you use are giving little clearance if snow chains are needed, then maybe put wheel spacers on with the winter wheels, 

wider track for the car and more clearance maybe between tyre / chain and the bits you want clearance from.

DSCN3136.JPG.88cc411f936ee4ebffd08884229a87c6.JPG.cb5bc46aa51792465da7ddcc0855071f (1).JPG

Edited by Offski

So why are you putting snow chains on or asking about them. 

Have you ever used snow chains, fitted and taken off for just a mile or so?

Snow sock work, and are easy on and easy off, and actually can grip better than chains.  I know because i have used them recovering vehicles on ice when i have Snow tyre on my truck.

Climbing hills is usually easier than coming down hills in control....

Edited by Offski

Mick, snow chains have limited use and really need to be able to bite into the surface. On sheet ice you will get some extra traction over just a winter tyre but a snow sock will perform better as you have a greater surface area.  Both get destroyed fairly quickly on a treated road where they can’t bite into the surface and when they do let go can be a real pain to remove if they get caught up in the hub or brake. 

Only spikes really work on ice, everything else once you’ve lost traction and momentum builds you’ll only come to stop when you collide with something more solid. Better option is to leave it at the top of the hill and walk down the verge or a take a longer route with less hills.