Octavis VRs 06 MK2 Thermostat Petrol.

Hello Everyone,

I have had the misfortune of deciding to replace the Thermostat housing on my car. The water temp was varying between 50 - 75 and 90. The replacement cost £37.98 Probably it was a lot harder to complete because the car is getting on in years, it was certainly easier to put it back together ha ha.

Remove the engine cover then the securing bolts for the Black tank in front of the water reservior

Remove the undertray and release the hose to the auxiliary water pump underneath in order to drain the coolant.

I washed out the system at this point.

Its difficult to see what needs to be removed so the Alternator needs to come out next along with disconnecting the battery of course.

In order to see better and allow some more clearance I removed the cooling fans.

I then removed the turbo intake hoses and plastic pipe, easy when the clips are undone and two 10mm nuts.

Hey preso the Thermostat is visible but not so accessible.

There are three water pipe connections. I removed the metal spring clip on the large hose and it refused to undo, more later.

I tried to remove the front water pipe which has one bolt M10 into the pump housing and an 10mm nut on the dipstick no chance of it coming out yet! the metal pipe extends along the front of the engine back to a junction of hoses returning water into the engine. I released two pipes here off the plastic junction as the rubber hoses weren't stuck so fast. The spline bolt head refused to budge and stripped the Internal splines M5.

At this point I removed most of the wiring sockets across the front of the engine for better access. There is a plastic support on 2 studs for the wiring on the second water pipe behind the first which need releasing.

I then carefully used a Junior hack saw to cut a slot in the offending bolt and managed to undo it with a Flat blade 3/8" drive socket and ratchet. The first of the three pipes into the housing then came out!

I loosened the two bolts on the thermostat housing which gave me access to the larger hose on the top of the housing as fitted, it connects to a second metal pipe. After a struggle I got the clip free and the hose came off.

I removed the Thermostat housing bolts into the cylinder block and pulled hard and the large hose released  from the housing.

So after all that cleanliness and some lubricating grease and it all goes back together a lot more easily.

I have included some pictures.

So basically its up to you as to whether or not you decide to carry out the work yourself or engage your friendly mechanic.

20181105_112342.jpg

20181105_130535.jpg

20181105_160741.jpg

20181105_163147.jpg

20181106_184806.jpg

Edited by thomasj
More detail

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...