Getting the right checks

Chick18

Hi guys, 

My name is Jessica and I own a 65 plate Octavia, which I got last Thursday! 

I thought i'd put a message on here to make sure you get the right checks if you're buying a second hand car like I did. 

I'm from Cardiff, so I took mine to White Dove SKODA and they were so helpful, even though I didn't buy the car off them.

One thing they did mention, is to get a Winter Health Check (I gt this is seasonal but I did only buy the car last week). I never knew that people didn't change to winter tyres, or put antifreeze in their car (lucky mine has both, thanks to its previous owner). 

I think their winter check is about £26 or something, but it checks pretty much everything on the car. I had mine done today, and to my surprise i also got a free umbrella! I think you can get a travel mug too, i'm not sure. I went online to check the price but I found this post about driving tips for winter, and it was actually really interesting to see as little as 6% of people change their winter tyres. I also got a free car checklist for the winter which I thought was cool. Here's the link if anyone wnats to see it - http://blog.whitedovegroup.co.uk/winter-driving-tips-staying-safe-this-winter

The lady who served me was really nice (I think her name was Milly) and even ran through the importance of getting your car serviced and MOTd every year without pushing me to go with them, which is rare of car dealerships! I will definitely be returning there even though I bought the car elsewhere. 

Edited by Chick18
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chick18 said:

I found this post about driving tips for winter, and it was actually really interesting to see as little as 6% of people change their winter tyres

Not everyone has the need, luxury or finances to do this.  The reasons for doing this will depend on many factors and reasons.  I personally don't find a reason to do this as I'm retired and don't do the mileages or distances I did when younger.  I did do this in my younger days.  Just interested to know, have you always fitted winter tyres to all the previous cars you've owned ?

Welcome.

Lets not trust their website.  Nobody available to them like a 'Proof Reader' to do the right checks,  or just check what they put online.

Is it less than 1/3rd of people checking their Tea Breaks or car brakes?

Where is the 6% of people and Winter Tyre information coming from and is that England, UK, Europe or the world.

New vehicles have Antifreeze / Summer Coolant / Rust Inhibitor in and many on the road in the UK will have that there for years as long as not a VW waterpump fitted, 

then there might be issues....

PS.

Might book in for a 'Whee alignment'. 

Edited by Offski

• 4 months later...

So. I just came on here to ask some more questions and noticed your comments! 

1. There is no need to be rude and put other businesses down for some small typing errors. 

2. I was only trying to let others know in the area that I had a good experience there. 

IMO there is good cause to put them down if they can not get a website right i would worry about the Service Desk staff getting the Invoices right, body inspection reports etc.

They are upsellers, so if they want to assist customer maybe they need to try harder. Just IMO.

A post winter check is good idea as well.

Maybe if not a service just a check over, look see, maybe brakes serviced.

Edited by Skoffski