IS20 transplant from Audi TT to 1.8 TSI

Hey guys,

So I have a friend putting an IS38 turbo on his TT and he will have a spare IS20 turbo soon. Its a 2016 TT, the one with the Matrix headlamps (or whatever suede calls it). I have a 2018 Octavia 1.8 TSI done 5k kilometres. I have a question, will it be a direct swap of the turbos in my oct or do I have to modify something else? I know new gaskets will be needed and the actuator will have to be taken from the IS12 turbo but anything apart from that? 

Simple question: Will it Fit my ride? Will my transmission take it? (its the infamous DQ200)

Thanks for your inputs guys.

3 minutes ago, Offski said:

I would stick with remapping to maybe 220 bhp max.  

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/449791-new-ecu

Thanks offski. I am considering the remap too but a bigger turbo will be a rush. I am thinking of taking the red pill soon ;)) But I will take your advice into consideration. Thanks mate!

18 minutes ago, Offski said:

You best look at upgrading the clutch packs and the DSG software.

You are joining a lottery with the DQ200 DSG, and you will have no Manufacturers Warranty.   Best buy a quicker car or one with a Wet Clutch DSG to start upgrading IMO.

I used the exact same argument while buying the car with my family LOL. I was pushing for the VRS but its priced 5000+ GBP in India. And wait times are really long. I will be doing the DSG software too but I need to know if the part fits before getting my hopes high .

On 13/11/2018 at 15:07, Offski said:

You are gambling 5000+ GBP in India with trying to get that much more performance with the DSG that you have.

Hopefully people with the knowledge will be along that can help you with the hardware you need for increasing the performance of your 1.8TSI.

Thanks Offski, ill be sure to get in touch with experienced guys locally :)

The IS20 will bolt straight on and run, not that well but it will run. The management systems on these cars are very good at maintaining the ideal (stoichiometric) Air/fuel ratio so will give the IS20 some of what it needs over the IS12. 

There are tunes out there for IS12 to IS20 (and IS38) on VW, Audi and Seat but AFAIK no-one has done one for the Skoda boxcodes. The other option is the JB4 which will do the IS20 upgrade. Burgertuning have a lot of experience with this and it will run on any 1.8

It changes the engine, losing some of the quick-spool bottom end for more push further up the rev range. You would be wise to do the intercooler as well unless you are actually in Antarctica :biggrin:

Problem is, just as @Offski has said it is the transmission that you will have to watch. A tuned IS20 1.8  pushes out a fair amount of torque and that is what kills clutch packs. The DQ200 is not the strongest out there

On 16/11/2018 at 22:36, flybynite said:

The IS20 will bolt straight on and run, not that well but it will run. The management systems on these cars are very good at maintaining the ideal (stoichiometric) Air/fuel ratio so will give the IS20 some of what it needs over the IS12. 

There are tunes out there for IS12 to IS20 (and IS38) on VW, Audi and Seat but AFAIK no-one has done one for the Skoda boxcodes. The other option is the JB4 which will do the IS20 upgrade. Burgertuning have a lot of experience with this and it will run on any 1.8

It changes the engine, losing some of the quick-spool bottom end for more push further up the rev range. You would be wise to do the intercooler as well unless you are actually in Antarctica :biggrin:

Problem is, just as @Offski has said it is the transmission that you will have to watch. A tuned IS20 1.8  pushes out a fair amount of torque and that is what kills clutch packs. The DQ200 is not the strongest out there

Thanks @flybynite I can confirm though that IS20 bolts right on. But the torque is more than what the DQ200 can handle safely. Contrary to popular belief APR has tested out the DQ200 and rated it at max 360-380 lb/ft of torque. (Cant find the link right now but its there). So technically its good for the IS20. 

On the flip side, my local tuner and APR Dealer advised me against the IS20 citing that someone had done something similar and had to reduce torque for drivability on a daily basis. In short they advised against it. 

I think ill do it outside of warranty and when I am ready to put down the money for a new clutch pack that will take the abuse of the engine. Any idea when I should tune the car? I have 3.5 yrs of warranty left on it, I understand the warranty will be void if something goes wrong but will Skoda do it under goodwill even thought the car is tuned? 

Thanks @Offski and @flybynite for sorting this out. Ill either do the tune or the JB4 :)

• Haha 1

Technically what ever REVO tested is crap.     

?

Did REVO test DQ200's to 320 Nm or 360-380 Nm and not 360-380 lb/ ft of torque?

There are those running DQ200's with powerful engines with Up-rated Clutches and Software.

Take stuff you are reading with a pinch of salt.  Even stuff here.   & watch what Revo say,  they did REmaps for 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kw Twinchargers and they were crap IMO.

Talk to the Experts.

Edited by Offski

3 hours ago, Offski said:

Technically what ever REVO tested is crap.     

?

Did REVO test DQ200's to 320 Nm or 360-380 Nm and not 360-380 lb/ ft of torque?

There are those running DQ200's with powerful engines with Up-rated Clutches and Software.

Take stuff you are reading with a pinch of salt.  Even stuff here.   & watch what Revo say,  they did REmaps for 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kw Twinchargers and they were crap IMO.

Talk to the Experts.

Thanks for the videos @Offski, but I made sure all the posts I read were either on a 1.4 or a 1.8 DSG 7 ea888 gen 3 engines only. The gearbox was the weak link in just about every post on every website. Ill share the threads I used to state the torque limit of the DSG 7 GB later on. TMG has Kevlar clutch discs for the DSG 7 which holds about 40-60% more torque over the OEM clutches. I was well aware of all the mods people do, both software and hardware and have discounted all such situations in arriving at my decision ;) 

on a side note, does a diffuser really help? I was thinking of doing eCU tune, bigger Intercooler/DP (After a year or two) and then finally the turbo when im ready to get a new racing clutch. Does the order sound right for getting the best for the buck? I have already put stiffer sway bars and am tremendously happy how this car corners. Only wish it was RWD, and had wet DSG6, would've been the dream car for tuners. But its not and yet im happy :)