1.2 petrol engine hesitation

inkeys

Hi there,

I own a 2010 1.2 petrol and just recently it's developed a problem. At low revs and gears it seems fine, but under acceleration on the motorway and under strain (up hills etc) the engine goes lumpy and feels like it's missing a beat; sort of stuttering. No engine or warning lights have shown up, so I'm slightly perplexed. Also sounds normal - just hiccups lumpy reductions in power.

Any ideas?

Edited by inkeys

@inkeys I take it that it is not a 2007 Yeti.

So what year is it, is it a 2017 SE?

and how many miles and what servicing and maintenance has it had.

Plugs, Coil, Fuel Filter, maybe the fuel, it is anyone's guess but those are the things needing checked after checked for Stored Fault Codes.

PS EDIT.

Is it this one?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/405805-new-yeti-owner

Edited by Offski

Apologies. It's a 2010 1.2 TSI. Mileage is 62k and it's due a service.

Maintained every year since build with regular servicing. Spark plugs I'm unsure.

And offski - it is indeed that one.

I seem to remember there was an issue with the No 1 plug lead breaking down due to not having heat insulation fitted. 

3 hours ago, RickT said:

I seem to remember there was an issue with the No 1 plug lead breaking down due to not having heat insulation fitted. 

Thanks. I'll add that to my check list.

It also could be no.3 lead, very common. 2010 models have old style unprotected leads, best to change them for the latest protected type, expensive at a Skoda dealer at over £100 per set, but the OE set is available on ebay,amazon, search for NGK 44316. The "marten" protection (vag wont admit the design/heat problem)  is in the form of plastic corrugated trunking on the leads. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Ignition-Cables/NGK-44316-44316-Ignition-Cable-Set/B00DZRWLM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542560195&sr=8-1&keywords=Ngk+44316

If changing them yourself you will also need a boot puller 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Plug-Lead-Tool-VAG-Sealey-VS5293/264012920476?epid=2288061212&hash=item3d7865769c:g:4GQAAOSwDX5b1y1A&redirect=mobile

Unfortunately its quite likely faulty leads have also caused the ignition coil to start breaking down. These are easy and cheap to change yourself.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/f/100150/12041/2010/ignition-coilignition-coil-unit.aspx

10% off using BRISKODA voucher code

(Coils are up to £200 to change at a Skoda dealer!!!)

OE Plugs should be good to 60,000+ miles, but consider removing and checking if the last set has done more than 40,000.

Cheapest OE genuine plugs IZFR6P7 I found were at Opie Oils again.

There is a cheaper Bosch alternative but not yet tried them myself, slightly different, 6k suppressor resistance instead of 1k and 0.8mm gap instead of 0.7mm, I measured a tiny difference in tip position too, so will refrain from recommending until I actually try them out.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Offski said:

2013 or 2015 with Spark Plugs being changed the TPI was there for the N0.3 lead.

Ask if the was Warranty Work done and this Service Campaign item.

I never got told about this TPI in 2015, they charged me £180 for some new leads and a coil after 50% goodwill. Even then, they were too idle/stupid to fit the new clips that came the leads, so burning a hole in the plastic trunking as it rested on the exhaust shield.

I am much wiser nowadays. Trust no one.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Now the OP is as well i hope.

I wonder why the Spark Plugs were replaced at 3 years (2013)  was there a Misfire or just on the mileage then 2 years later at 2015 unless that was someone doing as they should, 

major service, full price paid so Change the plugs.

• Like 1