Slow pick up in first

Biggles33

I bought a new Karoq last month.  I have done 1300 miles since purchase. It's a wonderful car,.  However I have noticed on occasion and usually at a dangerous situation.    Such as busy round about etc when starting off on first the engine on my 1.5 petrol can be very sluggish on pick up. Which can put me in a dangerous situation.     Does not happen all the time and usually the engine is up to temp.     I remember the dealer saying something about the car engine computer not giving full cylinders or power till after 3000 miles. 

Anyone know or have a similar problem 

Read the lengthy thread in Karoq forum on 1.5tsi 1st gear issue. Likely to be the same problem. Its an "issue" with this engine, latest unconfirmed rumour is that VAG have acknowledged it, and are working on a fix but not expected until Q2 2019.

Is yours a WLTP approved model, i.e. bought brand new and fitted with a GPF?

Edited by xman

Thank you Xman for your help.   Not sure if it's WLPT approved it was bought new from factory.        Not sure what a GPF is..   

It has always had a smooth puck up as was aware of this topic before I bought the car.. It's more a slow pick up of power

1 hour ago, Biggles33 said:

It has always had a smooth puck up as was aware of this topic before I bought the car.. It's more a slow pick up of power

If its brand new factory build it must be WLTP/RDE approved and have a GPF fitted.

So maybe now has had the "fix" applied that older cars will need once they get the retrofit approved. Instead of over rev, or kangaroo, just be slow and steady.

Or the slowness maybe a consequence of GPF fitment.

Or just your particular car has a fault/issue/characteristic*(*dealer/Skoda UK to choose whichever description they feel suits them best)

We will have to wait for further reports of similar experiences.

Meanwhile, if you feel its unacceptable or dangerous, do report it to your dealer, and ask for a reply in writing. As we have learnt with the 1.5tsi, verbal responses are worthless.

Thank you xman. Was out with the car today and it seems to be getting worse as happened three times.    May have to report to Skoda will hold off for further evaluation.   Also perhaps others may have helpful info?

Edited by Biggles33

Hi @Biggles33,

What drive mode are you in when this happens? Is it Eco mode?

Have you changed the drive mode to see if one is worse / better than the other?

And is your vehicle manual or DSG?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to add some meat to the bone.

Gaz Thank you.     Think you hit the nail on the head...       The other day I changed modes to Eco to see how that affected the mileage.,.  The car is manual.   So I think you are right Tomorrow will change to sport or normal and test it out.   I do think it will be as you suggest related to the mode...       Will post tomorrow the result.             Was the dealer correct it saying it was not using all cylinders till 3000 miles run in is past ? 

34 minutes ago, Biggles33 said:

Was the dealer correct it saying it was not using all cylinders till 3000 miles run in is past ?

No. Could you even see the dealers head once he had shoved it that far up his own ass? Unbelievable!  :@

In truth, it is not silly to say that your new Karoqs cylinders will not deliver all their potential/spec sheet claimed power and torque until the engine is run in and that could take 3000 miles. 

However, the engine management system does not restrict the number of available cylinders you use until/unless  you have done a 3000 mile run in. It does have the ability to do a neat trick of deactivating 2 of the 4 cylinders in order to save fuel, when driving conditions permit. That is the "ACT" - Active Cylinder Technology bit of your 1.5 TSI ACT engine.

Edited by TheRobinK
typo
  • Like 1

I’ve done 4000mls in a 2L diesel DSG. I am staggered by how good the car is. BUT...... exiting a T junction especially if slightly up hill (and poor visibility) can,at times, be very trickey. Car doesn’t want to go. Requires very careful throttle control. When it does go tends to take off like a rocket. Nearly had me in the hedge opposite the first time! Experience helps with throttle control. 

Ha ha Offski.      No actually it was not John Clark.   I sadly for them did not buy it from them as they showed little interest in keeping me as a customer.(.Went to England. ).Also had a very very bad experience with the service dept when on the first paid service of my Octavia VRS, by me paying for it....they found back and front brakes needed replacing...funny it never needed anything previously when it was a Skoda service.., I paid for the back brakes but woke up before they did the advisory on the front £750 worth.   So took it to another garage and they found nothing wrong with the discs...my son is now driving that car and its three years past and three MOTs later.  Still no sign of the brake problem.      The sales man.  said at JC they don't make brakes like they used to,.  So as I argued,   are Skoda selling poor quality discs then.  It went right to Skoda HQ sadly they took no action...or interest..  

thank you Robin K also.  I now know.

Thanks Simcock.  It not really throttle control its like push pedal down and it reminds me of a flooded engine in the old days.   Eventually it pulls away but even my wife had commented on the speed or lack of it on a entrance to a busy roundabout...   Will try sport mode later

Edited by Biggles33
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine recommended them to me.   So yes I do think I will go to them . Which is sad as John Ckark is feet away from the office.  However I am taking voluntary severace.  So have more time it's just a long way to go and a long wait in a small village.  But yes I think I will contact them soon thanks 

• Like 1

I nice half day out and they will not be making you hang about as nothing is being done and when you collect the cars keys or before trying to up-sell worn pads / discs, AC Servicing etc etc.  If they give an Advisory it is because that is what a Mechanic thinks you should get advice about and they will talk you through it.

Like discussing the Gears / Engines performance.  Truth from people that can be trusted.