Scandinavian DRL mode - DRLs still on with headlights

I've just carried out the 'new' Carista modification and it works correctly and solves the problem of the too bright at night DRL's (LED's on my SEL). The only minor gripe is that the rear lights are not illuminated in the complete 'C' configuration when only the DRL's are on as is very well explained by Alec.

1 hour ago, bertJ said:

I've just carried out the 'new' Carista modification and it works correctly and solves the problem of the too bright at night DRL's (LED's on my SEL). The only minor gripe is that the rear lights are not illuminated in the complete 'C' configuration when only the DRL's are on as is very well explained by Alec.

Carista are looking into the absent lighting segment,

Illuminating only 4 out of 6 sections was not explicitly intended by us. We got the same report from the user EdHru from the Briskoda forum. We'll investigate how to improve this and if it's possible there will be another update, which we'll notify you of.

I've noticed the segment which doesn't light up is the one which contains the brake light in my car (incandescent rather than LED lights, not sure if that makes a difference) which makes me wonder If it's harder to enable that segment at the low intensity level.  As far as I can see it's the same bulb which lights up at two different intensities, although this wasn't what I expected so I wonder if I just can't see it properly when it's reflected in a window - I'm checking this on my own so can't easily depress the brake and see it illuminated directly.

A

45 minutes ago, AlecEdworthy said:

Carista are looking into the absent lighting segment,

I've noticed the segment which doesn't light up is the one which contains the brake light in my car (incandescent rather than LED lights, not sure if that makes a difference) which makes me wonder If it's harder to enable that segment at the low intensity level.  As far as I can see it's the same bulb which lights up at two different intensities, although this wasn't what I expected so I wonder if I just can't see it properly when it's reflected in a window - I'm checking this on my own so can't easily depress the brake and see it illuminated directly.

A

I don't mind this "L" shape at all to be honest. I was in Finland 3 weeks ago and I saw Fabia mk3 with front LED DRLs and only bottom light segment illuminated on his rear lights. If you think, that the rear lights will be in use all the time now and all those lightbulbs will be burning up all the time and eventually burnup. I would personally like just to have the bottom segment illuminated to preserve the rest of the bulbs as they will be illuminated in the daytime anyway. Saw a YouTube video of a Slovenian guy on his yellow Škoda playing with different clusters on skandinavian mode, L shape, C shape etc.

I am glad that Carista have enabled this function so promptly for you and hopefully for the other members if they have requested as well.

21 minutes ago, EdHru said:

I don't mind this "L" shape at all to be honest. I was in Finland 3 weeks ago and I saw Fabia mk3 with front LED DRLs and only bottom light segment illuminated on his rear lights. If you think, that the rear lights will be in use all the time now and all those lightbulbs will be burning up all the time and eventually burnup. I would personally like just to have the bottom segment illuminated to preserve the rest of the bulbs as they will be illuminated in the daytime anyway. Saw a YouTube video of a Slovenian guy on his yellow Škoda playing with different clusters on skandinavian mode, L shape, C shape etc.

I am glad that Carista have enabled this function so promptly for you and hopefully for the other members if they have requested as well.

Thanks for helping put the pressure on Carista to get it sorted @EdHru  :)  I'm glad that we've been able to help get this moved forwards and I look forward to seeing it in the general release for others soon.  I've also tried out some of the other modifications 

If I'm not mistaken then if you only want one of the two segments illuminated then you can probably only enable one of the two stages of the modification (e.g. "Use right taillight as daytime running light (step 1 of 2)" or "Use right taillight as daytime running light (step 2 of 2)" plus the appropriate left variant) and that would result in just the segment you want being illuminated.  I agree, I don't mind the two rather than three segments being illuminated, I asked Carista about it more to see if it was a deliberate feature decision rather than an omission.  Not considered about the additional strain it will put on the bulbs, hope it doesn't significantly foreshorten their lives.

A

46 minutes ago, AlecEdworthy said:

Thanks for helping put the pressure on Carista to get it sorted @EdHru  :)  I'm glad that we've been able to help get this moved forwards and I look forward to seeing it in the general release for others soon.  I've also tried out some of the other modifications 

If I'm not mistaken then if you only want one of the two segments illuminated then you can probably only enable one of the two stages of the modification (e.g. "Use right taillight as daytime running light (step 1 of 2)" or "Use right taillight as daytime running light (step 2 of 2)" plus the appropriate left variant) and that would result in just the segment you want being illuminated.  I agree, I don't mind the two rather than three segments being illuminated, I asked Carista about it more to see if it was a deliberate feature decision rather than an omission.  Not considered about the additional strain it will put on the bulbs, hope it doesn't significantly foreshorten their lives.

A

That's a good point in respect of the different stages it might be worth trying it out and see. 

What other mods did you enable?

35 minutes ago, EdHru said:

That's a good point in respect of the different stages it might be worth trying it out and see. 

What other mods did you enable?

Doh! I got distracted while writing the post and when I came back I was surprised I hadn't submitted it so did so without re-reading it and spotting I hadn't finished it!

Prior to the beta I have used,

• the auto lock/unlock mod - very happy with this one, works like a charm
  • the beep on locking/unlocking - worked as expected but a little intrusive at night so disabled it again
  • needle sweep at start up - pointless but it makes me smile :)

Within this beta I have tried,

• taillight mods (obviously) - worked as expected except the L .v. C bit which isn't the end of the world
  • teardrop for front wiper - works pretty much as expected, worth noting that when stationary (ignition on, engine not started yet) it does not do the additional teardrop wipe
  • teardrop for rear wiper - enabled but not tried it yet
  • (manually triggered) coming home lights - not working for me. I do not have automatic lights but Carista are trying a new manual mode, however it does not work or I do not understand how to trigger it. This is a multi-part mod requiring other settings to be enabled, perhaps I am missing one out? Fed back to Carista and awaiting them looking into it further.

A

Alec 

Just tried that different option withs staging. It's not working. So L shape for now it is with rear DRLs.

3 hours ago, EdHru said:

Alec 

Just tried that different option withs staging. It's not working. So L shape for now it is with rear DRLs.

Shame.  L shape for now it is then.

I've tried the rear wiper teardrop wipe today and that didn't work, Carista are looking in to it.

A

Somewhat off the point, I noticed yesterday if you stop the car with the wipers on continuous wipe, they change to intermittent wipe and resume to continuous when you move off - clever. 

Edited by bertJ

• 2 years later...

If I enable Scandinavian mode on my car, does/will that change the digital speedometer from MPH to KM/H?

I ask the above because I want to enable tail lights in conjunction with the front DRLs; and as such was a bit hesitant in doing so if meant the digital speedo would change to KM/H.

Using VCDS [which uses convoluted [and sometimes ambiguous] vocabulary, how can I enable rear [tail] lights and number plate light with front DRLs; a–la Volvos and SAABs?

If/where possible, any instructions given should mirror what I will be seeing on VCDS on my laptop; so that I can tally what I am being instructed to do and what I am seeing in the VCDS software.