Octavia SE 1.5. Any tyre suggestions to reduce road noise?

Just a quick update.

Skoda UK and my dealer have finally agreed to pay for a new set of tyres as a goodwill gesture so I am having a new set of Goodyear Efficient grips fitted early january. 

Will update how effective they are with the cabin noise once fitted. 

My hunch is that there is also an issue with the fitting of the tailgate that is still leading to a feeling of pressure in the cabin. The garage did fit some of those spring loaded thingys to the side of the hatch that made a difference but it is either coming back or I am starting to notice it more again!

I have an Octavia Combi 1.4tsi with the same tyre size. I used the Michelin Energy tyres and did not find them unacceptably noisy. I liked the excellent fuel economy and the grip /handling was fine for me. None of these tailgate issues either.Circumstances forcibly changed and I did an early swap out for Vredestein Quatrac 5 all seasons tyres. Noise level about the same ie ok for me. A bit more understeery though.

Edited by gregoir

43 minutes ago, ian_feel_keepin_it_reel said:

Just turn your music up... 

Ha ha... I do!

On that matter, the factory speakers on car were crap. I upgraded the front speakers with a local hi fi dealer. They put loads of dynamat in the front doors. I was hoping this would ease things but it didn't. I also wonder if i am imagining it all. I went out early this evening and thought the car sounded nice and quiet but on my journey home, is was noisy again. Perhaps it is me that needs attention, not the car!

I found my  2016 2.0TDi SEL Estate noisy and less smooth so I fitted a 2017 1.5TSi SEL to my driveway and have a much quieter car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final update...

Changed tyres to Goodyear efficiency grip last week. Skoda UK and my helpful garage paid 50% each as goodwill.

The tyres are much quieter and the car handles noisier surfaces much better. It is also a smoother ride.

I was still getting 'banging in the head' (sorry can't put it any other way) when it went over some ridges so I have spent the past few days adjusting the rubber stoppers on the bottom of the hatch a little each time and I seem to have got rid of the banging and feeling of ear pressure. I say 'seem' because I have noticed the car is less noisy when the roads are wet, and they were wet today, but fingers crossed its is OK now. I could live with it as it is and enjoy driving whereas for a while all I wanted to was get rid of the car. It's still not a Bentley (or VW) in terms of ride comfort  but also not a Bentley or VW in terms of cost! In fact, there is a lot to like and enjoy about the car.

The dealership did hint that the 1.5 engine may be heavier than the other petrol models and that this may affect handling and the suspension. 

Thanks for the tyre suggestions... it has made a difference :-)

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Goodyears for an everyday daily driver. They are usually relatively quiet compared with competitors, have low rolling resistance, perform well and are well priced for a "premium" tyre.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2018 at 16:52, TimOctavia said:

My hunch is that there is also an issue with the fitting of the tailgate that is still leading to a feeling of pressure in the cabin. The garage did fit some of those spring loaded thingys to the side of the hatch that made a difference but it is either coming back or I am starting to notice it more again!

You want this thread: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294540-low-frequency-boom-in-cabin/

I've never had an issue with EnergySavers on my Focus or Octavia, and they always review as being quieter tyres. I will be fitting CrossClimates next time though, for better winter performance.

Edited by Rodge

• 1 year later...