Battery for a 1.6 16v (petrol)

Locke

A few months ago I have had the battery in my 2009 Fabia 1.6 16v (hatchback) replaced. The old one wasn't the original (obviously), and it was a 50Ah unit. I was told by the battery shop that I needed a 60Ah one, but the guy who had come to replace it put in a 52Ah battery even though they go for the same price. I had noticed that the battery tray is larger than the current battery is. Was wondering if anyone knows what type did this model have on from the factory? Couldn't find anything definitive enough but I'm under the impression that it might have been an even larger capacity than 60Ah. I just might try to get to some arrangement with the shop if it really is a smaller capacity one than what the car is supposed to have. the warranty is still valid.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for any grammatical errors, english is my second language.

Check the receipt. If they "Sold" you the 60 amp, go back and insist they fit it. The bigger battery will have a larger capacity but will need longer charging, which is usually ok as the car does it on the move. In winter, with a lot of stopping, starting, slow, low miles and plenty of usage, you may need to charge it manually, mid winter.

6 minutes ago, mrgf said:

Check the receipt. If they "Sold" you the 60 amp, go back and insist they fit it. The bigger battery will have a larger capacity but will need longer charging, which is usually ok as the car does it on the move. In winter, with a lot of stopping, starting, slow, low miles and plenty of usage, you may need to charge it manually, mid winter.

The hand-written receipt I got actually says 50Ah because why bother with accuracy I guess. The printed receipt I didn't get as they charged me over the phone after the guy installed the battery. It should say the same as he told them what to charge for. I just know that both batteries go for the same price, both from their site and from the fact that the guy said I could have the 60Ah when I asked, only that it wouldn't fit in the old jacket. The battery he put in didn't fit anyway as it was slightly bigger, but of course that dummy didn't get why it was difficult to put the jacket on and eventually slapped it around miserably after the battery was already under that plastic thingy that is set over it.

We don't get very cold winters where I live. Snow is extremely rare in this part of the country. I'm just wondering what's ideal for this car and whether a smaller battery could cause any issues.

I don't know if it helps you at all, but I have just been on the Varta website, and they list 2 batteries, both 175mm wide X 242mm long X 190mm high, one is 60AH  540Amp short code D24 and the other is  63AH 620Amp short code D15.

For comparison I checked the Halfords website - they are a UK based car parts outlet, and sometimes they quote lower than what the manufacturer fitted at factory, but they also only listed 60AH  540Amp for a cheap battery and 62AH  620Amp for a more expensive one.

Each time I requested batteries for a 2009 Fabia MK2 1.6 petrol engine.

So from what I've found out, I'd say that Skoda fitted a 60AH battery at the factory.

9 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

I don't know if it helps you at all, but I have just been on the Varta website, and they list 2 batteries, both 175mm wide X 242mm long X 190mm high, one is 60AH  540Amp short code D24 and the other is  63AH 620Amp short code D15.

For comparison I checked the Halfords website - they are a UK based car parts outlet, and sometimes they quote lower than what the manufacturer fitted at factory, but they also only listed 60AH  540Amp for a cheap battery and 62AH  620Amp for a more expensive one.

Each time I requested batteries for a 2009 Fabia MK2 1.6 petrol engine.

So from what I've found out, I'd say that Skoda fitted a 60AH battery at the factory.

That's pretty helpful, there is another UK supplier called Tayna which lists a 63Ah battery. My current battery is a Varta, but one that is a cheaper type than those you mentioned. They should have the 60Ah here, I'll see if I can do anything about it. Thanks.

15 hours ago, Locke said:

wondering if anyone knows what type did this model have on from the factory

Possibilities for your car are listed as the various item 1's on this page: https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2009-608/9/915-915000/

I'd expect the 72Ah one to be for diesels only, but there's no help in deciding which battery was fitted to which variant on that page.

Have a look at the data sticker on your boot floor, there may be a PR code there that tells you.

I think the code will be 3 digits starting with J and ending with another letter, with a number in between.  See what you find and I can probably decode it for you.

Edited by Wino
correction

20 minutes ago, Wino said:

Have a look at the data sticker on your boot floor, there may be a PR code there that tells you

Thanks, I will.

For a 1.6 petrol a 50 / 52Ah battery should suffice. If one of the specified sizes it should also fit correctly as the tray with have multiple positions for the clamps.

If the installer copied the battery size fitted and that was wrong, rather than looking up the specified options, maybe why the current one doesn't fit either ?

Maybe why 50Ah not 60Ah was actually fitted too.

The generic code for 242L x 175W x 190H is 027.

Bosch, Varta etc have their own codes for different specifications of one case size and fitting layout e.g. capacity, number of years warranty.

If too many short journeys a 60Ah would still become discharged because the amount of charge replaced each trip would be less than that used.

Edited by delta925

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2018 at 14:29, Wino said:

Have a look at the data sticker on your boot floor, there may be a PR code there that tells you.

I think the code will be 3 digits starting with J and ending with another letter, with a number in between.  See what you find and I can probably decode it for you.

Sorry about the delay. Would appreciate it if you could still help. Here is the sticker.

20190117_120018.jpg

The local Skoda dealer said it was a 44Ah as well when I asked but I was still skeptical because of the tray being larger.

So, seeing that I have got a 52Ah battery, would you say it should indeed suffice and I shouldn't bother talking to the shop who sold it to me?