whistle on idle

in the last 6K km after oil and filters change, the fabia started to make a whistle noise.

The car is 2016 and has a 51K km.

am guessing it's the water pump or the belt, therfore in the next couple of days am going to the garage and i would to come there with some ideas for what the cause of the weird noise

a record of the actual sound is attracted.

so guys any ideas?

Tnx

שריקה.m4a

yeah, it`s coming only when the engine rpm is below 900 rpm.
i tried to hear it to several people most, but only one out of 5 heared it, so it`s very quit, but still weird whistle. i treid to rev engine in high speed and also no noise, so it`s not the turbo.

Weird VAG...

Edited by eyalasd

• 2 weeks later...

Are you referring to alternator whine? It can sound like a bit of a whistle. This is because there is more load on the alternator as more 'poles' are brought into action to provide more charge. It's more prevalent in the winter because we use more electrical power and the battery takes more of a hit . With the car idling, put the lights and rear heated screen on. Does the noise appear? Does it go away after you switch off the lights and screen heater?

In the Octavia mk3 section there is a commonly reported whistle for the 1.4tsi engine. It is a known fault and my car has just developed it when idling or very low rev and small throttle. Sort of a warble whistle and is corrected by replacing a section of corrugated tubing with smooth bore equivalent. 

I am ouside of warranty now and trying to work out if I am bothered enough to do someting about it.

Same thing with the fuel pipe referred buzz in the B pillar that comes back each summer.

I am shockingly lazy. :(

Gerrycan, that sounds a bit like the EVAP ribbed plastic pipe, it normally only makes a noise when the car has warmed up and under light throttle/loading. It is normally reported as being a beeb beeb beeeeeebing sort of noises, pulsed at regular interval.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Thanks 1

On 21/12/2018 at 14:02, Estate Man said:

Are you referring to alternator whine? It can sound like a bit of a whistle. This is because there is more load on the alternator as more 'poles' are brought into action to provide more charge. It's more prevalent in the winter because we use more electrical power and the battery takes more of a hit . With the car idling, put the lights and rear heated screen on. Does the noise appear? Does it go away after you switch off the lights and screen heater?

Maybe it`s the alternator the "whine", actually is coming from the lower part of the belts is this the alternator belt?. 
I tried doing the lights and rear heated,  and it`s giving up and down in the whine due to the minor jump in the rpm. 
At rpm a bit lower than 900 it`s ok but lowers a bit it whining. 

2 hours ago, rum4mo said:

Gerrycan, that sounds a bit like the EVAP ribbed plastic pipe, it normally only makes a noise when the car has warmed up and under light throttle/loading. It is normally reported as being a beeb beeb beeeeeebing sort of noises, pulsed at regular interval.

That is a pretty accurate portrayal of the sound.

I might mention it early tomorrow morning when I take the car in to get  the defective Takata airbags replaced.

Gerrycan, sort of funny that you mentioned the low pressure fuel delivery pipe, I managed to find a suitable bridging clip that held that pipe to the small coolant return pipe and so stopped it trying to wear itself through by rubbing against the AC discharge pipe.

By the time that my wife’s Polo’s engine had been built, it should have had the later pipes on it that included this sort of clip to avoid the sort of rubbing that I discovered!

On 26/12/2018 at 09:32, eyalasd said:

Maybe it`s the alternator the "whine", actually is coming from the lower part of the belts is this the alternator belt?. 
I tried doing the lights and rear heated,  and it`s giving up and down in the whine due to the minor jump in the rpm. 
At rpm a bit lower than 900 it`s ok but lowers a bit it whining. 

Yes it could be!  The alternator is the big cylindrical thing mounted at the front of the engine down near to bottom left side (viewed from the front) of the engine.  It has an alternator drive belt which disappears into the cambelt cover area. You may notice the whining sound if the weather goes colder and you start to use more of the cars electrical power, and of course, the battery starts to run down a little. You will also notice it more for short periods if you do shorter runs. The alternator has to work harder and makes this whining noise as it brings in extra poles to produce the needed electrical power. It's nothing to worry about if it is that.

On 28/12/2018 at 14:02, Estate Man said:

Yes it could be!  The alternator is the big cylindrical thing mounted at the front of the engine down near to bottom left side (viewed from the front) of the engine.  It has an alternator drive belt which disappears into the cambelt cover area. You may notice the whining sound if the weather goes colder and you start to use more of the cars electrical power, and of course, the battery starts to run down a little. You will also notice it more for short periods if you do shorter runs. The alternator has to work harder and makes this whining noise as it brings in extra poles to produce the needed electrical power. It's nothing to worry about if it is that.

tnx