DSG driving mode question

5 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

From what you describe, after the restart the selected mode as a whole (suspension, throttle, lights, A/C etc.) is still the last one you selected (ECO), but the gearbox defaults back to D, instead of E, is that right?

If that is so, can you try pulling the stick once to go to sport (talking about 'box only, drive mode remains ECO unless you manually select something else) and immediately once more to go back? Does it go to D or E in that case? 

I'm not sure what everything else is set to as I'm, not sure how you could confirm. The gearbox is seemingly defaulting to D instead if E. FWIW I see the same on my Kodida.

I'll try the stick over to sport and back...

2 minutes ago, neilsupermac said:

I'm not sure what everything else is set to as I'm, not sure how you could confirm. The gearbox is seemingly defaulting to D instead if E. FWIW I see the same on my Kodida.

I'll try the stick over to sport and back...

That's what I'm saying. I remember reading this not only in Briskoda but on VW and Seat forums, that this is how it's working on some cars (can't remember which MY at the moment). Drive mode remains always where you left it (you can confirm this by checking the top left corner of the infotainment screen I assume? )  but the 'box in particular defaults to "D" after a restart. 

But since the main drive mode remains ECO, the 'box can only be in E or S (despite that it's starting in D - that's like a start-up condition). So, by switching to S and back, it should switch to the selected mode's "standard" gearbox mode which, for ECO, is E. 

Otherwise, you'd end up being in some additional "hybrid" mode that is ECO with D 'box mode I imagine. Try and let us know.

16 hours ago, newbie69 said:

but how does this link you posted about the start-stop symbol hiding the selected gear in some cars made 3 years ago help the OP in what he's after? 

read wider :)
there are small, for someone funny, problems which can be solved just by spend few hours of VAG's programmers time,
but that will never be done because car is already sold.

look at other electronic devices, why they can receive software updates after several years from purchase

19 hours ago, newbie69 said:

That's what I'm saying. I remember reading this not only in Briskoda but on VW and Seat forums, that this is how it's working on some cars (can't remember which MY at the moment). Drive mode remains always where you left it (you can confirm this by checking the top left corner of the infotainment screen I assume? )  but the 'box in particular defaults to "D" after a restart. 

But since the main drive mode remains ECO, the 'box can only be in E or S (despite that it's starting in D - that's like a start-up condition). So, by switching to S and back, it should switch to the selected mode's "standard" gearbox mode which, for ECO, is E. 

Otherwise, you'd end up being in some additional "hybrid" mode that is ECO with D 'box mode I imagine. Try and let us know.

It stays in D1 regardless if you select S using stick pull back and then again back to driving mode. It just looks like a bug to me...car starts in (likely) "Normal". Colombus and button remember last mode but car is not set in that mode....its a bit rubbish.

22 minutes ago, neilsupermac said:

It stays in D1 regardless if you select S using stick pull back and then again back to driving mode. It just looks like a bug to me...car starts in (likely) "Normal". Colombus and button remember last mode but car is not set in that mode....its a bit rubbish.

Ok I get what you're saying however this is a bit different to what the OP described . So if the car is left in Sport (as per the OP), after restarting, the mode is still set to Sport but the 'box always starts with D and goes to S with a flick of the shifter. This is normal as no DSG car ever starts in S 'box mode.

What you're describing is that if the car is left in ECO in particular and the 'box in E when turned off, when it's restarted it has not only forgotten the 'box mode (by being in D instead of E) but also the drive mode all-together: you said it is (likely) in "Normal", instead of ECO. One question I have is why you can't be sure of which mode the car is in when restarted and say likely, what does the Columbus screen say? 

I wonder if this is related to an in-car setting or something that can be enabled via VCDS. In the mean time I would also try to see if the "forgotten" 'box and drive mode issue is the same when Sport is selected, or whether it's something to do with ECO in particular. Because for the OP's issue that's perfectly normal. Mode is left in Sport but 'box in D. However you are saying the mode is gone too.

29 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

: you said it is (likely) in "Normal", instead of ECO. One question I have is why you can't be sure of which mode the car is in when restarted and say likely, what does the Columbus screen say? 

Columbus screen shows its in ECO mode and the button is orange implying the car things its set to something other than "normal". Of course it could be the dash display that is wrong....and the columbus and button are correct?

23 minutes ago, neilsupermac said:

Columbus screen shows its in ECO mode and the button is orange implying the car things its set to something other than "normal". Of course it could be the dash display that is wrong....and the columbus and button are correct?

Well, if the dash is wrong and you are in ECO 'box mode you will have coasting when you let your foot off the throttle, you can try that.

Now, If the Columbus is wrong then you should be in some other mode (Normal?) but how do you tell ECO from Normal? That's tricky. A difference that I can think of between the two is max boost. In ECO it is limited to something less than 2bar  absolute (1.6-1.8 iirc). In other modes you should be seeing closer to 2.2bar in the performance monitor, when you floor it in 3rd, 4th. That would be funny to try also, lol.

It will be easier to find who's wrong with Comfort or Sport mode selected before turning off.  When restaring, the 'box will naturally be in D (no E 'box mode outside ECO) but you will be able to tell from the suspension which mode you're on and if the Columbus is wrong, that's assuming you got DCC!

However I suspect that neither the dash nor the Columbus are wrong and that you are in that "hybrid" mode of car being in ECO but box in D, rather weird.

We should continue looking for a work-around although for me it's hardly the end of the world, I usually change between modes even during my trips when I feel like it, not too hard to do. And unless someone offers a solution I promise I will be playing around with this and investigating settings options (car and VCDS) as soon as I pick mine, in around a month from now.

Edited by newbie69

6 hours ago, newbie69 said:

And unless someone offers a solution I promise I will be playing around with this and investigating settings options (car and VCDS) as soon as I pick mine, in around a month from now.

Those of us with DSG up to a couple of years old know the gearbox always reverts to D on startup (earlier ones didn’t, as MartiniB indicates). Everything else (suspension for DCC, steering) remains true to the previous mode. 

VWs do it, Audis do it. Maybe VAG group policy changed, not to have coasting enabled by default for safety reasons. Maybe someone crashed their car and took VAG to court because of “unexpected” coasting. Who knows?

It is annoying having to re-select E even though the mode screen shows it is active. So if you manage to find the VCDS setting for default gearbox mode on startup, a lot of people will thank you :thumbup:

29 minutes ago, Ivan8192 said:

Those of us with DSG up to a couple of years old know the gearbox always reverts to D on startup (earlier ones didn’t, as MartiniB indicates). Everything else (suspension for DCC, steering) remains true to the previous mode. 

VWs do it, Audis do it. Maybe VAG group policy changed, not to have coasting enabled by default for safety reasons. Maybe someone crashed their car and took VAG to court because of “unexpected” coasting. Who knows?

It is annoying having to re-select E even though the mode screen shows it is active. So if you manage to find the VCDS setting for default gearbox mode on startup, a lot of people will thank you :thumbup:

I currently run a MY17 DSG6 Golf that keeps the mode and 'box in their last settings, drive off and you're immediately in E1 if you'd left in ECO previously, so this is new to me. As you say, I suspect that it is only the coasting which is disabled, the mode remains true to what the Columbus indicates, so you are still in ECO mode but you don't get the coasting unless particularly selecting it. I assume there was a point that this change was implemented no matter which 'box (DSG6 or 7). Maybe someone borrowed someone else's car that was left in ECO. The guy lifted his foot expecting to engine brake, but found himself accelerating harder towards whatever was in front of him. Still is not excuse but we know how courts can be like. So VAG probably decide to remove the coasting if not explicitly selected during the same driving session.

In all honesty I find it rather immaterial, pressing 2 more buttons on a modern car is hardly a hard task ( I press many more during my typical drive), although I understand the thing about choice or preference and that if someone decided he wanted to have it always on he should be able to do it. Maybe there is some work-around but maybe not. I'll post back if I discover something.

On 15/01/2019 at 21:00, newbie69 said:

I currently run a MY17 DSG6 Golf that keeps the mode and 'box in their last settings, drive off and you're immediately in E1 if you'd left in ECO previously, so this is new to me. As you say, I suspect that it is only the coasting which is disabled, the mode remains true to what the Columbus indicates, so you are still in ECO mode but you don't get the coasting unless particularly selecting it. I assume there was a point that this change was implemented no matter which 'box (DSG6 or 7). Maybe someone borrowed someone else's car that was left in ECO. The guy lifted his foot expecting to engine brake, but found himself accelerating harder towards whatever was in front of him. Still is not excuse but we know how courts can be like. So VAG probably decide to remove the coasting if not explicitly selected during the same driving session.

In all honesty I find it rather immaterial, pressing 2 more buttons on a modern car is hardly a hard task ( I press many more during my typical drive), although I understand the thing about choice or preference and that if someone decided he wanted to have it always on he should be able to do it. Maybe there is some work-around but maybe not. I'll post back if I discover something.

I've spent a few days experimenting and I'm convinced that the car starts up with columbus and the mode button in the mode it was in when ignition switched off yet the car is not in that mode. Doesn't matter if I select sport, eco or individual.

It is 1st world problems I agree but none the less, disappointing and something else to remember each day. I do 70 (motorway) miles each way to work. ECO makes a significant difference to my mpg.

1 minute ago, neilsupermac said:

I've spent a few days experimenting and I'm convinced that the car starts up with columbus and the mode button in the mode it was in when ignition switched off yet the car is not in that mode. Doesn't matter if I select sport, eco or individual.

It is 1st world problems I agree but none the less, disappointing and something else to remember each day. I do 70 (motorway) miles each way to work. ECO makes a significant difference to my mpg.

Which method did you use to find out?  Sport mode and suspension or something else? And which mode did you find out the car was really in?

By the way, you can quickly switch between profiles by repeatedly pressing the mode button, ie. no need to push Mode button, then take your hand over to the screen and hit ECO, just a couple of consecutive presses and it cycles through the profiles, 3 second thing. 

17 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Which method did you use to find out?  Sport mode and suspension or something else? And which mode did you find out the car was really in?

By the way, you can quickly switch between profiles by repeatedly pressing the mode button, ie. no need to push Mode button, then take your hand over to the screen and hit ECO, just a couple of consecutive presses and it cycles through the profiles, 3 second thing. 

Just sport mode. Set it to that, Drive > ignition off > ignition on > still in sport mode but dash says D1.

Thanks - the button I know about - It is a 1st world problem but it is annoying. My wifes kodiaq does the same....I am wondering if it is deliberate but if it was...why not have columbus reset to correct state as well....that can't be intentional.

4 minutes ago, neilsupermac said:

Just sport mode. Set it to that, Drive > ignition off > ignition on > still in sport mode but dash says D1.

Thanks - the button I know about - It is a 1st world problem but it is annoying. My wifes kodiaq does the same....I am wondering if it is deliberate but if it was...why not have columbus reset to correct state as well....that can't be intentional.

You confuse drive modes with gearbox mode now. What you saw regarding the gearbox being in D after car was left in Sport does not prove anything: All cars with drive mode selection revert to D for the gearbox when starting up, no car ever starts in S1, however, as a drive mode, the car is still in Sport. How would you know? You can easily tell from the firm suspension (on DCC cars), Soundaktor being at its loudest and steering at its heaviest. You are sure none of these three were in place when you tried it? Because I am willing to bet they were. Showing D on the dash does not say anything about being in Sport or not as they are not related. The gearbox can always be in D or S (only for ECO, D is replaced by E) regardless which mode you're in. So 'box in D and mode on Sport is perfectly possible.

2 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

You confuse drive modes with gearbox mode now. What you saw regarding the gearbox being in D after car was left in Sport does not prove anything: All cars with drive mode selection revert to D for the gearbox when starting up, no car ever starts in S1, however, as a drive mode, the car is still in Sport. How would you know? You can easily tell from the firm suspension (on DCC cars), Soundaktor being at its loudest and steering at its heaviest. You are sure none of these three were in place when you tried it? Because I am willing to bet they were. Showing D on the dash does not say anything about being in Sport or not as they are not related. The gearbox can always be in D or S (only for ECO, D is replaced by E) regardless which mode you're in. So 'box in D and mode on Sport is perfectly possible.

I am but I will experiment again on my way home tonight. The dash "D" or "S" or "E" display is inconsistent. The box may start in D but if the car was left in Sport, would you not expect at some point, once moving, the car to display "S"? It will do that if whilst driving you select sport with either gear stick flick back or mode select...I will go around this again...I might even video it actually...that would save our hands a lot typing...

2 minutes ago, neilsupermac said:

I am but I will experiment again on my way home tonight. The dash "D" or "S" or "E" display is inconsistent. The box may start in D but if the car was left in Sport, would you not expect at some point, once moving, the car to display "S"? It will do that if whilst driving you select sport with either gear stick flick back or mode select...I will go around this again...I might even video it actually...that would save our hands a lot typing...

You're almost there, here's how it works: IF you switch modes while driving and select Sport, apart from overall drive mode which changes immediately, gearbox also switches to S right away. IF however you start a car that was left in Sport, drive mode is still in Sport (no lying there) but gearbox stays in D and never switches to S on its own, unless you flick the stick back. Safety feature? Don't know but that's how it's always been. 

Now whilst you can overcome the above issue if you wanted to drive in Sport and S all the time by simply always leaving the car in Sport and flicking the stick every time you started, with ECO it seems it requires more button pressing as E is deactivated and there is no quick way to get it back (by flicking the stick) unless re-selecting ECO manually. At least with the latest cars.

• 2 years later...
On 14/01/2019 at 17:30, MartiniB said:

MY16 does remember last mode, all newer don't 

Hello guys, I work in the car industry for a different brand, but the ideea is the same: the car should start in a "default" mode related to emissions. It is all related to Homologation, if the car starts in different modes then the car manufacturer needs to test-homologate-declare ALL those modes; if Default mode - only 1 homologation, it saves a lot of time & £££.

I'm new to this forum, potential Superb driver in the near future and was searching if the Mode button can be later added to a Superb 280. I read that standard suspension still has some dummy sensors, because the Mode feature exists in the car, but not accesible to the driver. I am interested in engine and steering modes, maybe different remap stages ;) (2nd therad hijack)