17" tyre recommendation

moletteuk

I'm trying to choose some front tyres for my mk3 Fabia 1.2 TSI 110 with 17" wheels.  I currently have Bridgestone Potenzas, but I'm not overwhelmed by the wet grip or aquaplaning, I know the problem is mainly because I have 17" wheels, but that's what it came with.  I'm just after summer tyres. Mainly country road driving and lesser A roads.  Any recommendations?

Thanks

On 14/12/2018 at 13:13, moletteuk said:

I'm trying to choose some front tyres for my mk3 Fabia 1.2 TSI 110 with 17" wheels.  I currently have Bridgestone Potenzas, but I'm not overwhelmed by the wet grip or aquaplaning, I know the problem is mainly because I have 17" wheels, but that's what it came with.  I'm just after summer tyres. Mainly country road driving and lesser A roads.  Any recommendations?

Thanks

I think you might be looking at this from the wrong viewpoint 

At what temperature are you having problems in the wet, I suspect it is not summer thunderstorms at 25-35c.  I therefore wonder if you are really asking for a good tyre suitable for British rain, rather than a summer tyre.

If you are only changing 2 tyres, then I understand why you might not want winter tyres, but have you considered the new generation of all season tyres, especially those with good wet performance, they work lot better in cold rain than some of the summer tyres.  The problem is some of the best ones aren’t available in the size you need.

You need to decide if you really want a premium summer tyre (that’s good in wet, but poor when cold), or a medium all season (as best aren’t in your size) or even a winter tyre that is less winter biased.

The Bridgestone A005 weather control is brilliant in the wet, but not available in size you need, so use some of these reviews depending on your budget (I would sort by review, not price), you want a good tyre (at a sensible price), not a poor tyre (at whatever price)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Search/Size/215-40-17/Order/Rating

Thanks to you both.  I hadn't figured out how to get reviews for a specific tyre size, that was useful.

My partner just put all weather tyres on his Rav 4, so I did consider it, but as you say, there only seem to be a couple available in the size I want and they don't look that great.

I'll give it some more thought!

^^^ The tyres you have are fantastic at 'aquaplaning'.  Some of the best available, or is that the worst?

you are going to have to take care with that what ever tyres you fit in the profile you have with the car you have.

Drive to the conditions even if you have Wet Weather tyres or All Seasons or All Weathers.