How to remove rearview mirror (Octavia mk3, dimmable mirror, with light assist - faulty light assist)?

As per the subject, how does one remove the rearview mirror on Octavia mk3 (dimmable mirror, with light assist)?

Car started reporting "Fault: Light assist" and I want to replace the light assist sensor - which happens to be integrated into the mirror.

I assume I could just replace the entire mirror and the whole thing should just work? Would there be any coding required?

I have not "checked the coding".

I'm new to the whole 'connect-your-car-to-a-computer' thing. I have just ordered bluetooth OBD2 dongle to have a play with it.

Would I be able to "check the coding" with it? Or do I need to get a full blown VCDS cable and the app?

My thinking is: It worked fine up to few days ago. I have not made any changes to the car since few months ago. Ergo, it's probably the case of sensor going bad. I tried reseting the car settings (within the car infotainment system), but it made no difference. So my next step is to replace the sensor - or the mirror, since sensor is integrated. I found a used one for £100.

You’d be surprised how many times things like this are software issues. It’s not a guarantee, but it’s worth checking. A generic OBD scanner won’t be much help with this, but OBDEleven with PRO certainly would be. Alternatively if you don’t think you’ll have a use for it after this issue (I think having a good model specific scanner is always worth having on a modern car myself) then you could take it to Skoda for a read of the codes and let that inform your decision. It may be that a reset cures it, but it may just tell you that the sensor needs changing. It’s would be my first port of call before changing the sensor anyway :)

• Thanks 1

My dealer replaced my mirror (with HBA) because of the mirror's self dropping issue.

The first time I turned on HBA I got the same error message.

My first thought was a loose (or not connected) connector so I removed the plastic cover and checked it but it seemed fine.

When I got home I checked the fault codes with VCDS and the HBA module complained about incorrect coding. It turned out that stupid dealer forgot to code the new module.....

Fortunately I had a previously saved AutoScan so I managed to code the new module according to the old one. Voila, it started working again.

What I am trying to say that save your current coding and code your new module if neccessary. Probably it's a good idea to save an Adaptation map too and also check the channels.

Check for fault codes before you buy a new mirror with camera. :)

Edited by aki78
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, milan_ns said:

Thanks for the advice people!

I think I'll order myself the OBDEleven package and scan the car before going to the dealers - or buying a new mirror :)

In my https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/450261-living-with-the-vrs-facelift-230/ thread there are some photos of the inside of the Windscreen with the covers removed when I had the Windscreen replaced earlier this year, if this helps?

I couldn't find the photos in your thread, however I figured out how to remove the mirror myself :-)

In mean time, my ODBEleven package arrived, so I now have the error code relating to light assist:

"B200047 - Ctrl. module faulty"

I guess I will open another thread since in relation to the error code :sadsmile:

• 3 weeks later...