1.5 TSI Lack of Power

Disappointing to see that this issue is now also being observed on the Kodiaq, in DSG form too.

Deliveries of the WLTP approved MY19 1.5 TSI in the Kodiaq only started a few weeks ago in the UK so I don't think we've seen any complaints in the Kodiaq forum yet, but the German Kodiaq forum linked below is clear, it is just as much of an issue in the Kodiaq as it is in the Karoq (and a lot of VW and SEAT models too)...

https://www.skoda-kodiaq-forum.de/index.php?thread/1676-1-5-tsi-150-ps-mit-7-gang-dsg-nimmt-kein-gas-an/&pageNo=3

More pronounced in colder temperatures too. The weather here has been unseasonably mild of late. Buckle down guys, looks like the issue will get worse before it gets better.

At least the WLTP test labs are quieter now, so hopefully Skoda stand by their commitment to deliver a solution via a software update before the end of March 2019.

Any Briskoda members with a 1.5 TSI in their Kodiaq?

The main thread is over in the Karoq section, as the Karoq got the WLTP approved 1.5 TSI before the Kodiaq...

Edited by silver1011

I have the kodiaq 1.5TSI DSG 7st which was delivered on the 15th of December 2018.

Awesome car, just done about 370 miles so far, I must confess it is yet to see much action as the Honda Civic (automatic transmission) it was to replace is still available and being the work horse.

I have had the power go off on me twice, happened while trying to out of the driveway.

Reversed out of the driveway, moved the selector into D from R and no throttle response (the first time it happened, I thought start/stop was to blame so I powered down and switched it on then continued, the second time start/stop was off this time and it happened, I chucked it up to driving style).

Last time it happened, was at the traffic stop - cant recall if it was start/stop or I slowed down too much power was cut off. I cant really recall what/how exactly it happened - I don't count this event as I can't replicate the conditions easily.

I do get out of the driveway most days; I think the colder the morning, the less time I give the car to warm up and the heated functions I use all contribute to the power going off.

SWIMBO says it happened to her and her solution is to depress the throttle further then it eventually responds. She is way more patient than I am.

Plan on trying that solution when next it happens but lately I was on a quest to improving my DSG driving style as I figured it was quite different to an auto transmission. 

It would be a shame if this fault lies with the car, I took 7 months to get here and it is such a lovely car.

The reviews of 1.4 tsi dsg esp with respect to the power/size delivery and obviously the price compared to its rivals got me.

Had to go overboard to convince SWIMBO over from a badge name, don't want to imagine the look on her face if Skoda disappoints. 

• Like 1

Don't panic, at 370 miles in you're still bound to be getting used to the new car and it's habits, quirks and preferred driving style.

Give it a few more months / thousand miles, you'll know by then if something isn't right.

Until then enjoy the car, the 1.5 TSI is heavily based on the older 1.4 TSI which is a cracking engine. The issue here is thought to lie with the software, not the hardware, so if it is identified it will be a quick fix by plugging it into a computer :D

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kodiaqman said:

Hi @Sabertooth

Has the problem re-occurred?

Yes it has, maybe once or twice since.

Still chucking it out on learning the DSG and my need to adjust my driving style.

Since I stopped using the auto hold function, I cant recall it happening again.

Would be sure to update here if it happens again under the new set of conditions I've set it to.

Generally, the weather has been fairly warmer so that isn't taken into account yet.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Still chucking it out on learning the DSG and my need to adjust my driving style.

Would be sure to update here if it happens again under the new set of conditions I've set it to.

Generally, the weather has been fairly warmer so that isn't taken into account yet.

Do you have driving mode select? 

Thank you for the update @Sabertooth.

That is very interesting- I will be sure to remember that point when the car arrives.

Not due to be built till week 9 and I wonder if they are tinkering with software and hardware in the background as the weeks and months pass.

15 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Yes, it is set to Normal.

Didn't see much savings on Eco mode and I got tired of always having to reset it back to Eco mode anytime I got into the car.

Could the issues relate to eco mode? I just got a 2.0 tsi. It is jumpy until it is warm, and I believe eco mode might cause it. I don't have driving mode select. 

Edited by mlohnork

8 hours ago, mlohnork said:

Could the issues relate to eco mode? I just got a 2.0 tsi. It is jumpy until it is warm, and I believe eco mode might cause it. I don't have driving mode select. 

It is a pretty awesome, versatile and powerful (car size vs engine size) car.

People don't believe it is a 1.5 petrol.

It just has its characteristics I have to master and I also realise it doesnt like it cold.

Cant wait for the summer months, to see how it morphs with the ambient temperature. 

• Haha 1

^^^^

Yesterday i did 400 miles in a 68 plate SEAT Ateca 1.5 DSG 150ps FR, it had done 1,200 miles, was running on 95ron Asda petrol Cold starts were at or below 4*oC

on start ups,

and it was lacking the characteristic that you seem to think they can or do have when cold.

Should anyone that is short changed of this 'characteristics' be complaining.

Edited by Skoffski

I had a loan Skoda Kodiaq 1.5 for a day whilst mine was in for some warranty work. I did about five trips in it and didn’t have any issues. It only had 90 miles on the clock but behaved perfectly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/02/2019 at 20:37, Sabertooth said:

Hi @Sabertooth, out of interest how have you been getting on with the 1.5 Tsi and DSG.....my wife’s car has been built now so hits the dealer in a mid late March.

3 hours ago, Kodiaqman said:

Hi @Sabertooth, out of interest how have you been getting on with the 1.5 Tsi and DSG.....my wife’s car has been built now so hits the dealer in a mid late March.

It is a wonderful piece of machine, it has not stalled yet since the last time it did, which seems like forever now. 

The ambient temperature has been holding so can't give a sub zero report yet.

The learning curve for the DSG is a relatively steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it is nothing but a joy to drive. 

Just stay away from the economy mode, doesn't make much of a difference in fuel savings compared to normal mode but it makes the car feel laggy as it requires more throttle input for the same response compared to normal mode. 

I hope you enjoy yours as much as we are enjoying ours. SWIMBO has abandoned the other car, kept a key permanently on her person so she can swiftly sneek out with the bear without having that conversation. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Just stay away from the economy mode, doesn't make much of a difference in fuel savings compared to normal mode but it makes the car feel laggy as it requires more throttle input for the same response compared to normal mode.

It’s probably the hardest mode to ‘learn’ how to use effectively... but it can make a positive difference to the mpg as long as you’re not in a hurry. I’m using it more often than not, especially round town, because I prefer the less jerky effect of taking my foot off the accelerator and coasting until I actually need to brake, rather than the car engine braking and going down through the gears. And the throttle response is deliberate - it’s to encourage you to be more gentle with your accelerating, which is fine by me because I hate rushing in my bear - it’s too nice a place to be to hurry to the end of a journey and get out.

Having said that... I do like to occasionally use Sport mode - it’s not fast, but plant your foot to the floor and it shifts quick enough for such a big beast.

3 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

It is a wonderful piece of machine, it has not stalled yet since the last time it did, which seems like forever now. 

The ambient temperature has been holding so can't give a sub zero report yet.

The learning curve for the DSG is a relatively steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it is nothing but a joy to drive. 

I hope you enjoy yours as much as we are enjoying ours. SWIMBO has abandoned the other car, kept a key permanently on her person so she can swiftly sneek out with the bear without having that conversation. 

@Sabertooth thank you for the update, much appreciated. Glad your bear has settled down and you are both loving it!