Rear powered boot struts - £828+VAT to replace!

19 hours ago, xman said:

I can appreciate (and ignore) DBT85's sarcastic comments earlier, just hope his boot struts, DCC shocks, ACC unit, windscreen with recalibration, DSG , haldex and Columbus don't all break on him at the same time.

But then he's probably a 3yr PCP/Lease kind of guy so oblivious to this possibility.

Mines intended to be a 20yr keeper (I ran an Alhambra for 20 years without any major or costly failure)

Quite where you've got your perception of me from I'm not quite sure. 

Mine was bought 11 months ago 3 months old and intended to keep until it falls apart. 

I also hope everything doesn't fall apart at the same time on your car. 

What a strange comment. 

Edited by DBT85
  • Thanks 1

Brockysuperb,

I sold my MkII to a friend of mine and we keep in touch. He has recently had exactly the same issues as you with the operation on the rear boot door struts. When he bought the car from me he took out an aftermarket  warranty as there were so many electrical systems (L&K estate with sunroof, TV etc).

The dealer diagnosed the struts as failing so he had them replaced, fine for a short while then symtoms reappeared, dealer then dignosed a "circuit board" so that was duly replaced, then part of the loom as a slight chaife was found.

I think todate the repair bill has been around 1300 - pleased to say the warranty co have picked the bill up no questions asked :-) and at present boot lid is working as it should.

What amazed us was that the dealer was certain it was the struts, but it turned out not to be the case - the car has been off the road for at least a day each time the dealer fitted another part and now he has no faith that the problem is finally solved. Every press of the boot release raises his blood pressure !

Good luck, I hope you get yours sorted

Smudger

• Sad 1