Columbus - code low level speaker output for external amp?

sampo

Hi all,

A quick question for any one who has experience with this unit (Columbus head unit, fitted (stock) to a 2013 Yeti L&K 170 without the upgraded amp/sound system option).  I'm installing an aftermarket amp & speakers to improve sound quality, and have read a few different threads that suggest this head unit can be coded to provide low level outputs by selecting the sound system option.  I'd like to do this to give more options with gain levels on the new amp.  My local car audio shop has VCDS and is happy to have a play, and I'm hoping someone here could give me/them a quick guide as to how exactly to do this on this unit.  They're not convinced it will be quite as simple as just selecting the sound system option because they suspect it will then 'look' for the official amp via CANBUS and of course it won't be there.  They believe it may still be possible to force the low level output, but if anyone here has done something similar before then your experience would be appreciated :)

Thanks! 

Edited by sampo

It'll probably be something similar to this: http://www.my-gti.com/1411/volkswagen-rns-510-coding-when-installing-with-a-factory-amplifier

No idea if you'll end up with any fault codes given there isn't a factory amp fitted.

There isn't a 'remote' feed from the Columbus either so you'll need to come up with a plan to turn the amp on/off too.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On my 2010 Octavia VRS I had an amp made by blaupunkt that was 5 way, it had 4 outputs and an output for another amp to drive a sub, it connected to the columbus via a harness supplied with it and worked brilliantly, unfortunately I left it in the car when I sold it.