List price Vs on the road price of 280 sportline plus

I'm very close to ordering a new superb 280 sportline plus estate, 

I've been on the skoda configurator website an awful lot these past few nights trying to keep the spec under the £40000 that triggers the £450 road tax here in the UK,

someone mentioned to me that the road tax was calculated from the list price of the car, without the associated 1st registration costs, 1st year road tax and dealer fees etc, I rang my supplying dealer and he was quite vague on the subject but has promised to look into it for me, I did find out that the 1st year road tax is £515 so does that mean I can configure on the skoda site, a car with an on the road price of £40500 and still be under the higher tax bracket as it's calculated by the list price of the vehicle not the OTR price the configurator shows??? Is 1st registration fee (£55) and transport fees etc also not included, the dealer said it was around £1100 difference with all the fees that the dealer & government have to take , eg a £41000 car wouldn't hit the tax band, 

Hope that all makes sense

Can anybody clarify please

According to this.    https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-costs/car-tax   the Tax bands are based on the List Price of the Car.  Adding extras shouldn't put the Road Tax up.

or that's how I read it.....................

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

My research found it is just the first reg fee and rfl that is taken off. Also any dealer fitted accessories are outside the 40K limit. This taken from DVLA guidance to dealers when changes introduced in 2017. Also watch that the calc is based on the price at the date of first reg and NOT order dates. So £515+55 is the figure to deduct

Edited by Sagalout
  • Like 1

Just to be clear - all additional factory options count towards the 'list price'.  I recently took delivery of a non-plus Sportline 272 with options, ordered back in April (WLTP delays), which was also very close to the threshold and had concerns it was going to creep over due to price increases (which there were), however I emailed my dealer at least twice who confirmed it was under, although my confidence in the accuracy of that that response was not exactly high, I got he impression that they were not sure at times. 

The DVLA guidance @Sagalout referred to is here which is probably the most clear content I have seen.:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/534511/ved-reform-briefing-for-motor-industry.pdf  (see ref to list and notional prices)

http://dvla.dft.gov.uk/ved/ved-reform-briefing2.pdf (definitions of list and notional prices and what is / not included).  

Note that the guidance states that the warranty packages are not included, however my dealer was insistent that my additional 2 year manufacturer warranty counted towards it.  I'm still not clear on this point myself, I see the logic as it was a manufacturer option and not from a 3rd party / dealer.  I get the impression that the return to the DVLA that then determines the taxation is a dealer responsibility, and as such could be prone to mistakes being made upon any given dealer's interpretation of the rules.  As such - get any confirmation from dealer in writing to assist in any future dispute.  

• Like 1

I’m close to ordering a new superb which would be just over the £40k threshold price with the 5 year/100k warranty. One dealer said it would be included in the calculations, another said it would not, so I emailed Skoda UK who confirmed that factory warranty IS INCLUDED in the calculations 

Basically it includes anything that is 'factory or corporate' derived including the standard delivery charge/warranties. It is only 'dealer' fitted accessories or upsales (GAP etc) and the first reg and first road fund licence that is not included. That's how I understand it.

So for example, specify a rear camera on your order as an extra and it will be included; have one retro fitted by the dealer (or others) and it isn't. May cost you more but l;ess than those 5 years of extra rfl. (£1550)

44 minutes ago, bigmick9445 said:

I’m close to ordering a new superb which would be just over the £40k threshold price with the 5 year/100k warranty. One dealer said it would be included in the calculations, another said it would not, so I emailed Skoda UK who confirmed that factory warranty IS INCLUDED in the calculations 

According to the links very kindly posted above by Chas51 vehicle registration and road fund license don’t count towards the limit, and neither does any extended warranty so good news for me if that’s the case

D0874184-4CB0-4236-8FEB-5E939261D048.png

Edited by SteHaworth

I would err on the side of caution if you are borderline to the threshold.  As I said my dealer insisted it counted towards it which and was the figure I based my calculations on, plus @Sagalout comments align with that as well.