Styling your low beam headlight with nicer bulbs. 3 choices

roomster15

So as we all know. The roomster comes with some dim yellow factory H7 bulbs and they ain't pretty for shining the road from the projector lens. 

So I have tried 3 different low beam H7 bulbs that I wish to share with you all.

First off, (Osram Cool Blue Intense). 

Much brighter and whiter then factory bulbs, range is apparently longer, road legal (quite important), passes MOT. Short life around 10months for me.

IMG_20181106_194547.thumb.jpg.fe88982df9955d4e2f66ec7112a09879.jpg

Second, (MTEC Cosmo Blue).

Better white effect than Osram, but on closer inspection the beam colour has some blue and brown colour, maybe due to the tint on the bulb. Brightness is dim, worst than factory. Definitely not road legal. Dont know the life of it since I only used for 2 weeks and gave up.

IMG_20181109_140857.thumb.jpg.e06b878670a19fcdcaa7523d54bc9744.jpg

Lastly, (PIAA Stratos Blue 6000k), first off this is off road use only. But, they are very pretty. Very white with faint tint of blue, close to xenon. Price is high. Using it for 1 week now so don't know the life, will have to wait and see. May not pass MOT? Who knows

IMG_20190114_195722.thumb.jpg.326be61bb876a357fa2fa99378fe6dec.jpg

IMG_20190114_195744.thumb.jpg.071f56822a22169d359320e95744334b.jpg

For the parking light I am using Amazon bought LED T10 COB Filament.

Hope you find this post interesting and useful. For prices of the bulbs, just copy the name and Google as price seemed to change often.

Edited by roomster15

One thing I forgot to ask, does anyone know how on earth do you manually adjust the headlight leveling? The turning on in car is on highest level now, but still seemed the beam is shining low ( top bit of beam is on people's bumpers) 

Thanks in advance.

Hi, i went for a good set of HID's after going through load's of different bulbs. Just one point about what you say about the switch inside the car, is it on zero ?

If you have a good, local, friendly garage, just drop into them and get them to check the height of the beams.

On 15/01/2019 at 22:14, NZ100 said:

Hi, i went for a good set of HID's after going through load's of different bulbs. Just one point about what you say about the switch inside the car, is it on zero ?

If you have a good, local, friendly garage, just drop into them and get them to check the height of the beams.

Thanks for getting back to me, but HID installation looks like a big job. The headlight angle switch is on 0 and seems a bit low. Also finding a friendly local garage in central London is near impossible. Might need to go to Kwik-cheat Lol 

Hi R15,

I tried various "plus 110", "plus 130" H7 bulbs, barely any better than the abysmal basics.

So got London Colour HID kit via web, 4300 kelvin colour temperature,  had my local small indy garageman fit them, huge transformation in light output.

Are supposedly illegal, as Ken says, but mine have gone through about 4 yrs MOT tests no bother, despite no headlight wash-wipe and no auto adjust.

Keep the lights, mirrors, glazing clean, job done!

The HIDs take about 5 seconds to get up to full output, and do interfere slightly with the radio, especially in the Pennines where signal is very variable strength, but WAAAY better frontwards illumination. 

Not a cheap thing, but worthwhile if you plan to keep the car several years, 

And the interior adjustment still works fine.

Richard

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Mibbie nay, but fitting the headlight washers and self-leveling kit might well be.

Hi Ken. thats your fault for having all these bell's and whistles on. :D

• Confused 1

Confused Ken, i haven't got those things on mine. :o

It's only two bulbs, two ballasts and two connections, from what i remember, it was sutch a long time ago i fitted them. 

23 hours ago, NZ100 said:

Confused Ken, i haven't got those things on mine. :o

It's only two bulbs, two ballasts and two connections, from what i remember, it was sutch a long time ago i fitted them. 

And that's what makes fitting plasma discharge lights to be of dubious legality.