Xenon headlight bulb replacement

Morning all, the OS headlight bulb flickered a bit yesterday and then expired last night. It is a Mk 2 2014 Elegance estate with xenon headlights, I believe that replacement bulbs are quite expensive and not a DIY change, anyone have any pointers on what to do. I am considering Halfords but don't know if they will do the swap and not sure if I would trust them anyway. Would like to get it sorted asap as I do quite a lot of driving in the dark ( not that there's that much daylight at the moment). There is a VAG independent near where I work but they aren't open until Monday. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Chris

For the replacement procedure, have a look at this thread and infoschumi's 2nd post: Xenon headlight replacement

The H1S bulbs needed aren't cheap so shop around. The Skoda OEM ones (Phillips or Osram supply them) can be bought for €50 to €60 here in Ireland (can be €30 to €40 more if you got to the wrong places).

13 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I thought the Superb used D1S xenon bulbs?

CORRECT!

Apologies - I typed the wrong type. D1S is correct.  Must have HID on the brain when I was typing.    :sadsmile:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChrisRJ said:

they said it was a pig of a job so glad I didn't attempt it myself

One of my staff did it themselves. I asked them how tricky it was.

I'm his boss and he is usually extremely polite and helpful. He looked across at my Superb and told me if I ever wanted help to change mine, I could go and make violent love to my own nether regions.

• Haha 3

It takes me less time to replace the xenon bulbs in my superbs than the halogen h7 in our fabia!

Turn off the car, take off rubber boot, remove lower cable from the xenon bulb, rotate to release, remove plastic retainer and move to new bulb. Reverse the above and you're good to go. 

Don't go above 4500k colour temperature as the brightness drops off above this. 

I love the Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited https://www.hids4u.co.uk/D1S-OSRAM-Night-Breaker-Unlimited-Xenarc-35W-4300K-Xenon-HID-Bulb.html

Make sure you replace in pairs.