Mk2 vRS with 19"s, Who's done it before?

SimpsonMrG

Hello,

Running the standard 18"s with standard ride height at the moment, just wondering if anyone made a switch to 19 inch and what they thought of it.

Don't want to really spend a lot of money if its not that great.

Any advise is welcome

I went 19's on my MK2 FL Combi VRS - genuine Audi 19'' rotors with 225/35/19 tyres and hated the ride! it looked great but not enough to make me want to keep them... They were on for a few days and I switched back to 18's and sold the 19's. Mine has been subtly lowered using good suspension, I use it a fair bit for work going in to London and in my opinion the difference between the ride of 18's and 19's is vast! I know others on this site have gone 19's and reckon there's not a lot of difference in the ride quality etc - personally I don't agree! maybe it's because I'm getting old!!!

10 hours ago, MAW said:

I went 19's on my MK2 FL Combi VRS - genuine Audi 19'' rotors with 225/35/19 tyres and hated the ride! it looked great but not enough to make me want to keep them... They were on for a few days and I switched back to 18's and sold the 19's. Mine has been subtly lowered using good suspension, I use it a fair bit for work going in to London and in my opinion the difference between the ride of 18's and 19's is vast! I know others on this site have gone 19's and reckon there's not a lot of difference in the ride quality etc - personally I don't agree! maybe it's because I'm getting old!!!

This is good insight, i'm mainly wanting to try them for the look, it looks silly at the moment! Is there upgraded springs to help soften up the ride you think? Not to lower just better springs. I'm actually after genuine rotors or some Xtremes. Look very nice

Up-rated springs will generally lower as well as stiffen the ride. You could swap the VRS springs for something from a std spec car to soften the ride but that defeats the object of owning a VRS! Plus std springs will add about another 15mm to the height.

Genuine AUDI rotors are very very heavy and that was part of the problem - the un-sprung weight was vastly increased in each corner making the ride a lot more 'crashy!' I went for after market 18's but got the weight of them before I ordered - my current set up is lighter that OEM 18's.

13 minutes ago, MAW said:

Up-rated springs will generally lower as well as stiffen the ride. You could swap the VRS springs for something from a std spec car to soften the ride but that defeats the object of owning a VRS! Plus std springs will add about another 15mm to the height.

Genuine AUDI rotors are very very heavy and that was part of the problem - the un-sprung weight was vastly increased in each corner making the ride a lot more 'crashy!' I went for after market 18's but got the weight of them before I ordered - my current set up is lighter that OEM 18's.

I'm thinking of getting some bilstein b3s I think they are, same height as the current ones but probably better than OEM, newer at least. My garage just told me some bearing is on its way out anyway so same labour charge regardless!