Anyone want a Skoda Octavia 1.0Tsi SE Tech on a cheap lease?

Scammers heh @zeddicus, whoever could get a car that cheap... *Looks out the window* oh right, me :D

I got the 1.0 TSI SE Tech with DSG and a different colour for £2490 down and £85 a month. My previous 1.4 SE Sport, was £2490 and £99 a month. Both 2 years and 8k mileage.

Only because I won't have as much to pay now the wife's car is paid off etc will I be considering PCP next time but if the arteon deal and some others I've been seeing is anything to go by plus my experience of PCH, I may just keep renting cars for 2 years.

Glad you found someone interested in taking it :)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

Only because I won't have as much to pay now the wife's car is paid off etc will I be considering PCP next time but if the arteon deal and some others I've been seeing is anything to go by plus my experience of PCH, I may just keep renting cars for 2 years.

Having done PCP and now trying PCH for the first time, at the moment I feel pretty sure I’ll stick with leasing for the foreseeable future. 

My Qashqai PCP cost £3.5k upfront with payments not much less than £300 per month. That makes the 2 year cost £9300 (spreading the upfront over the whole 36 month contract). That’s for a list price £25k car, which thanks to depreciation I have no capital on. 

Contrast that with the Arteon I’ve ordered on lease, a list price of nearly £33k, but on 3+23 profile the 2 year cost is about £6400. 

In both scenarios I have zero to show at the end but the first costs me nearly 50% more with a substantial deposit and a much less good car...

19 minutes ago, maffyou said:

Having done PCP and now trying PCH for the first time, at the moment I feel pretty sure I’ll stick with leasing for the foreseeable future. 

My Qashqai PCP cost £3.5k upfront with payments not much less than £300 per month. That makes the 2 year cost £9300 (spreading the upfront over the whole 36 month contract). That’s for a list price £25k car, which thanks to depreciation I have no capital on. 

Contrast that with the Arteon I’ve ordered on lease, a list price of nearly £33k, but on 3+23 profile the 2 year cost is about £6400. 

In both scenarios I have zero to show at the end but the first costs me nearly 50% more with a substantial deposit and a much less good car...

I hear you mate. The wifes Dacia is on PCP and I've been paying £215 a month plus 3k in May to keep it.

Doubt there is any chance of making anything after 4 years but it may cost me more than 3k to repair just to return (wife treats it like ****)

I prefer the PCH deals we've been doing because you get a nice shiney new car for 2 years, little to no servicing, no mot, tax and free breakdown cover and warranty.

That £4k+ seems a lot but for me that's nothing compared to the money, time and stress I've had over cars before now.

That being said. Deals like the arteon are great until you fall in love with the car and can't bring your self to hand it back.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

until you fall in love with the car and can't bring your self to hand it back.

Thats what I think might end up happening with the Golf GTI I get

I felt that way about a Subaru Legacy I leased from 2005-2008. Fortunately the lease company allowed me to buy it through a 3rd party and I ended up keeping it for another 7 years!! Very rare to find that these days though, my wife’s CX-5 is one we’d like to keep but she’s not devastated to be having to choose between a new CX-5 or a new Kodiaq :-D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gRoberts said:

I hear you mate. The wifes Dacia is on PCP and I've been paying £215 a month plus 3k in May to keep it.

Doubt there is any chance of making anything after 4 years but it may cost me more than 3k to repair just to return (wife treats it like ****)

My wife is on a PCP for a Citroen Cactus, bought last May. Citroen trying to shift their stock of the old model having released the new facelift meant she got a great price on it, and I think when her 4 years are up (or even sooner) there's a chance there will be some value in it. Weirdly her second hand C1 on PCP she traded up from "made" almost £800 which almost covered the £1k deposit that went down, leaving the monthly payments at £165 (only £35 more than the C1 in fact!) Fortunately, she's pretty good at looking after her cars and not damaging them, which helps! 

I prefer the PCH deals we've been doing because you get a nice shiney new car for 2 years, little to no servicing, no mot, tax and free breakdown cover and warranty.

That £4k+ seems a lot but for me that's nothing compared to the money, time and stress I've had over cars before now.

That's how I'm feeling about it all. The main reason I let my mk2 Octy go in the end was that it was starting to cost me money on an almost regular basis with repairs and wear and tear. I forget exactly what it was, but in the 12-15 months before it went I'd spent well over a grand on repairs and replacements (including tyres, but only cheap ones) and I just thought, I could actually get a new car and put that money going down the drain towards it. Which granted is a false economy really, but as you say it's the stress of waiting for the next thing to go wrong, the uncertainty, the PITA of getting it to/from garages for repairs around work/family schedules etc. Sure there's no guarantee that a new car will be problem free but at least it's warranty and courtesy car when things go awry.

That being said. Deals like the arteon are great until you fall in love with the car and can't bring your self to hand it back.

54 minutes ago, zeddicus said:

Thats what I think might end up happening with the Golf GTI I get

I felt that way about a Subaru Legacy I leased from 2005-2008. Fortunately the lease company allowed me to buy it through a 3rd party and I ended up keeping it for another 7 years!! Very rare to find that these days though, my wife’s CX-5 is one we’d like to keep but she’s not devastated to be having to choose between a new CX-5 or a new Kodiaq :-D

I'm already worried about this as it goes :D Managed to find a dealership that actually had an Arteon in the showroom today, so drove over with my daughter and sat ogling the car for quite a long time, getting and out of all the seats, looking around the exterior, re-trying the seats... (well, my daughter did for a bit and then got bored so went and helped herself to the free hot chocolate and biscuits while I carried on :giggle:) I was blown away all around. Just hoping that either a) I can get another reasonably priced lease on an Arteon when this one ends (maybe a more fun engine in it too?) or b) I can find something else I like just as much (currently nothing anywhere near the price point is doing it for me!).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zeddicus said:

FYI, apparently Skoda won't pass deals like this on :sadsmile:

They're happy to reallocate the car, but based on current pricing, not the original deal.

Sorry @VRSx3dave

That's a bit crap like isn't it. I can understand that you'd need to deal with new finance agreements etc but assume that's all ok, it should just be a matter of assigning it to the new agreement.

That said, when I ordered my current Octavia on PCH, after ordering I had them match another deal which delayed the car by 3-4 weeks, which must mean that stock is tied to the order and if changed in any way, it means that you're allocated another vehicle, even if it isn't a physical change.

@gRoberts yep, I did think it was a little poor. I wonder what would've happened if, for example, I had a family member interested? Would they have changed the name? Oh well...

By the way, the GTi (hopefully!) or A5 (if I must!) that I'll be getting will be my first 2 year PCH without maintenance included. Sounds like you've done a few? How are manufacturers, in your experience, about getting the second service done within the 2 year lease?

I've had a Merc for the last 22 months on a 2 year Business PCP deal. I added the service pack (which I paid for monthly) which covered 2 services. I rang them a few days back to ask if I *had* to get the second service done and they said that they allow 30 days grace, and as the car is due to be returned 8 days after the service is due, that would be fine. So I got a nice refund on the unused part of the service plan!

Is this typical in your experience?

VW (if I get the Golf) are offering a 2 year service plan for just under £300, or I could just pay for 1 service at £179 if I can get away with it!

34 minutes ago, zeddicus said:

@gRoberts yep, I did think it was a little poor. I wonder what would've happened if, for example, I had a family member interested? Would they have changed the name? Oh well...

By the way, the GTi (hopefully!) or A5 (if I must!) that I'll be getting will be my first 2 year PCH without maintenance included. Sounds like you've done a few? How are manufacturers, in your experience, about getting the second service done within the 2 year lease?

I've had a Merc for the last 22 months on a 2 year Business PCP deal. I added the service pack (which I paid for monthly) which covered 2 services. I rang them a few days back to ask if I *had* to get the second service done and they said that they allow 30 days grace, and as the car is due to be returned 8 days after the service is due, that would be fine. So I got a nice refund on the unused part of the service plan!

Is this typical in your experience?

VW (if I get the Golf) are offering a 2 year service plan for just under £300, or I could just pay for 1 service at £179 if I can get away with it!

From my experience, PCH on 2 years, with cars in the VAG group are generally put on a variable service (2 years, 20,000 miles) so from what I have seen, you needn't service it unless you specifically want to.

Last car told me about 5 weeks before it was due to go back that the service was due, which meant I had to service it, at the tune of £215 for the first service.

But when picking up my new one, someone told me not to bother and bring it in and if it's due a service before it goes back, they will reset the light without servicing it. They also mentioned that if it's got days left on the day you hand it back, you're not expected to service it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gRoberts said:

Last car told me about 5 weeks before it was due to go back that the service was due, which meant I had to service it, at the tune of £215 for the first service.

But when picking up my new one, someone told me not to bother and bring it in and if it's due a service before it goes back, they will reset the light without servicing it. They also mentioned that if it's got days left on the day you hand it back, you're not expected to service it.

This is good news for me, but do they mean they basically pretend it’s had the service by resetting it? Bad news for the next person picking it up (whoever that might be)!

3 hours ago, maffyou said:

This is good news for me, but do they mean they basically pretend it’s had the service by resetting it? Bad news for the next person picking it up (whoever that might be)!

Pretty much - Pretty sure since it's on variable, it will be looking at the quality of the oil and no doubt flag it up a lot sooner than it would have if properly serviced.

2 hours ago, maffyou said:

Still, selfishly, if it might get me out of a second service I guess it’s a win for me.

Exactly that!:nerd::rofl:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, maffyou said:

Wow. It’s almost like they’re out to deceive and rip people off... :wondering:

Still, selfishly, if it might get me out of a second service I guess it’s a win for me.

Just to be clear. Unless you specify a fixed service interval, you're likely to get variable on the 2 year PCH, meaning you'd only be servicing it once, if at all. 

If you're not happy about doing it, of course pay for a service but let it sink in that £215 for service that took 45 mins including booking in etc and all they done was change the oil and filter.

You can get that done at a local national tyres for about £50. 

• Like 2

On 27/01/2019 at 16:00, maffyou said:

To be fair, the Qashqai was on a PCP, so I'm assuming there was a balloon payment to own the car. Most people use equity built up between the payments you've made over the term (including the deposit) and the balloon, or minimum future guaranteed value to roll over into a new PCP.

PCP's will almost always be more expensive than leasing (PCH) if you walk away at the end of the term.

On 31/01/2019 at 09:35, gRoberts said:

But when picking up my new one, someone told me not to bother and bring it in and if it's due a service before it goes back, they will reset the light without servicing it.

A reason never to buy an ex-PCH car if ever there was one! :o

• Like 1

Come on guys, saving money is one thing, deliberately trying to avoid a required service to save a few quid is another.

You don't own the car you're borrowing it for a fee.

Almost all VAG car's leave the factory set to variable servicing so if you're on a 2 year PCH and cover less than 15,000 mile a year you're only going to need to service the car once.

Just factor the £200 into your calculations and accept it as a cost associated with running a car that can't be avoided.

28 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

To be fair, the Qashqai was on a PCP, so I'm assuming there was a balloon payment to own the car. Most people use equity built up between the payments you've made over the term (including the deposit) and the balloon, or minimum future guaranteed value to roll over into a new PCP.

That's true, but my point was I don't have any equity in the car, despite it having been kept in very good condition. When I was invited to the dealers in October, I went down with all the promises from the salesman over the phone (which I was sceptical about) and when it came crunch time the upshot was it would cost me more money to buy the same car again. £55 per month more in fact, plus another £750 upfront. So rolling over to a new PCP would in fact cost me more money than I'm already paying. Likewise, to pay the balloon payment would require me to get a loan (I don't have 10 grand lying around, sadly) and even on the best rates I would be making pretty much the same payments I'm making now for another 3 years, only to end up with a 6 year old car at the end of it, and various maintenance costs over that time, too.

28 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

PCP's will almost always be more expensive than leasing (PCH) if you walk away at the end of the term.

And to go back to my above figures, it's not, at least for me in this case. I will pay less each month, for a brand new car which is also a much more expensive car, for a comparatively very small upfront payment (£780 compared to £3500). At the end I'll have nothing to show for it, but I don't with my current PCP either.

But that's kind of my point, if you've no intention of buying the car at the end of the term, it rarely makes financial sense to go down the PCP route.

It's not easy to buy a leased car at the end of the term so the expectation is you'll always be looking for a replacement car a few months before the end of the term.

The Citroen on a PCP is worked out more expensive than the VW Arteon on a PCH?

32 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Come on guys, saving money is one thing, deliberately trying to avoid a required service to save a few quid is another.

If I don't need to pay for a second service, why would I? If the finance company are complicit in this - even actively encouraging it by telling a customer not to bother - then I'm not going to fight them to give away my money. I don't think that's being cheap, I think that's just being sensible.

32 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Exactly, so why would I want to spend extra money unnecessarily? I have nothing to gain from the end of it. It's not my responsibility to make sure it is fit for selling on afterwards, because I'm not the owner, and if the owners want to cut corners that's down to them. I agree that it's a selfish position but me spending £200+ isn't going to help anyone except the finance company.

If the car is asking for a service, then it isn't an unnecessary expense.

gRoberts didn't say who told him to not bother servicing the car, but if someone is clearing the service reminder without servicing the car then they're being dishonest.

May as well clock it too and avoid those excess mileage charges.

33 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Almost all VAG car's leave the factory set to variable servicing so if you're on a 2 year PCH and cover less than 15,000 mile a year you're only going to need to service the car once.

Just factor the £200 into your calculations and accept it as a cost associated with running a car that can't be avoided.

I think you're on a loser there Silver. the leasing game is to pay the least and get the most, and if you can get away with it why not? Probably why we see posters calling dealers stealers, then having DTUK boxes fitted to  their cars trying to hide performance gains to protect future warranty repairs undertaken by the very same 'stealers'.