Interior light not working on drivers door and fuel and oil temp needles flickering

My wife has a 2010 fabia vRS and the needles for the fuel and temp have been flickering for a few months. I did take out the clocks but it didn't seem there was anything I could do then. In the last month they have stopped working altogether.  Then the interior light stopped working when the drivers door opened. I plugged it into VCDS and it said no signal from drivers door. I noticed last week that the dot matrix symbol for the drivers door open was not working all the time. It came on and then as the door opened further it went off. I thought it maybe a wire in the door flexible rubber which had chafed but not sure how to get it off to check. I tried looking under the dash to see if I could get to it for a look. I must have dislodged something as now the dot matrix display doesn't even come on when the drivers door opens. 

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions please? 

The door bellows are just a kind of clip/lever you prise open, then gently pull back the bellow. It is just a little fiddly and they are not too flexible but you do need a good look at the whole length of all the wires as they are very prone to snapping here. Sometimes they make connection with a little wiggle/squeeze of the bellow so this will be a great indication of the wires snapping but if they are totally snapped, no reconnection will be likely without a fix!

It is almost usually always the first place to look when electrical gremlins hit the mirrors/windows etc, if the fuses are intact!

To remove boot,

Press down on the top of the A pillar side, that unlcips it and gently use a blunt tool to help unclip it / pull it back.

The door side is different, it's a stiff rubber grommet pushed into the door structure, and can be very tough to get out. Again a blunt tool to avoid damage.

I could not free the door side on my Vrs without damage when I replaced the loom on the rear window retrofit I did, so I removed the door trim and speaker (which I needed to do anyway) and pushed from the inside at the same time.

Edited by UrbanPanzer