From the ashes a Phoenix must arise

2 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

IME you'd be hard pushed to feel that much of a difference under 'conservative' or everyday driving.  Only when you get to the business end of the rev range does the extra power in the 280 really make itself known.  I dare say there's a big difference in the wet, under load but I had a dry and fairly warm Spring day for back-to-back test drives. 

If I couldn't have bought the 280 then I would have been just as excited and pleased with ordering the 220.....but  the child in me does really enjoy that area between 3-6.5k revs :) 

Taking running costs, depreciation etc into consideration then the 220 is likely the better proposition between the two.  I think you have to compare the 280 to other cars of similar performance/spec/price/practicality before you can really appreciate the whole package. 

Just don't drive a 336bhp Octavia first or the 220 would seem really slow and even a 280 a tad sluggish above 60mph.:tongueout:

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

Just don't drive a 336bhp Octavia first or the 220 would seem really slow and even a 280 a tad sluggish above 60mph.:tongueout:

Yes but those that see my exhaust pipes know I have 276 Czech ponies under the hood.  You have to tell everyone that your Octavia isn't a 181bhp TDI oil burner. :tongueout:

Embrace the Q car, just blend in.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

Yes but those that see my exhaust pipes know I have 276 Czech ponies under the hood.  You have to tell everyone that your Octavia isn't a 181bhp TDI oil burner. :tongueout:

Embrace the Q car, just blend in.

This time of year no problem spotting it's no oil burner as 2 plumes of exhaust gases emitted out of the 3" tailpipes either side of the car but still get the odd muppet in a Fiesta ST who thinks they can overtake me up a sliproad onto a motorway. Some people will never learn they need a bigger engine or a lot more power. Never had a Superb been able to keep up either come to think of it, perhaps it's time to get a remap, you might find you lose less fuel not having to rev it quite so hard. I rarely go over 5,000 rpm now as 330bhp on tap at this point so last 2,000 revs to the redline pretty pointless apart from more noise LOL.:blush

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

This time of year no problem spotting it's no oil burner as 2 plumes of exhaust gases emitted out of the 3" tailpipes either side of the car but still get the odd muppet in a Fiesta ST who thinks they can overtake me up a sliproad onto a motorway. Some people will never learn they need a bigger engine or a lot more power. Never had a Superb been able to keep up either come to think of it, perhaps it's time to get a remap, you might find you lose less fuel not having to rev it quite so hard. I rarely go over 5,000 rpm now as 330bhp on tap at this point so last 2,000 revs to the redline pretty pointless apart from more noise LOL.:blush

A remap and other hardware changes are something I’m defo considering but only when my warranty is up and I know it’s a keeper. 

• Like 1

<sigh>.. I've driven a multitude of company cars, big, small, fast, and awful,...  (All Cavaliers, please take a bow).
My Superb matches the name perfectly.... It was my money and I wanted great.
Top Gear car of the year for 4 or 5 years running,...  My 1.8 TSI Elegance is a wonder of modern engineering.
164 BHP which I could reportedly get "chipped" for +200 BHP.... although I'd not get the 41 - 43 MPG I currently see.
Get the 220 and smile all the way home.

Postscript

In my post starting this thead I alluded to my "excellent local dealer".  

Heard today that at the Skoda UK awards ceremony on Friday evening my excellent local dealer was voted UK Dealer of the Year 2018.

So take a bow Mervyn Steweart Skoda, Northern Ireland. They have been really supportive after my accident and gone the 'extra mile' and more to get me a car and a deal that worked.

NI dealerships have won this accolade 5 years out of the last 6. So if you want a great weekend's craic while you buy your next Skoda, come on over to NI and savour the customer experience, the Guinness and the grub.  Giant's Causeway optional...

And no...I don't work for Skoda or the dealerships, but I am proud of their achievement.

Edited by Ashmount
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Credo said:

My 1.8 TSI Elegance is a wonder of modern engineering.
164 BHP which I could reportedly get "chipped" for +200 BHP....

Yes, if the need for speed overtakes me, chipping is always an option. 

Now where's my goggles and driving gloves...

The 1.5 TSI engine should allow you to save some money. I often read from a french owner on a forum. And I regularly reaches ~900 miles with a full tank. I can't even reach than though I have a TDI engine... Too many horses, too thursty... :D

Enjoy your future drives ! ;) 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bap33 said:

The 1.5 TSI engine should allow you to save some money. I often read from a french owner on a forum. And HE regularly reaches ~900 miles with a full tank. I can't even reach than though I have a TDI engine... Too many horses, too thursty... :D

Enjoy your future drives ! ;) 

Sorry about this mistyping... ;) 

• Haha 1