Brake 'fade' at journey's start.

Living at the top of a hill with a T-junction at the bottom makes for an early application of the brakes from about 20mph approx 20 secs after engine start/moving off.

SWMBO has complained about the brakes 'fading' and requiring to be 'pumped' into life in order to bring the car to a halt at the bottom of the hill.

Haven't experienced it personally, but anyone have any ideas as to possible cause?

Cheers.

Easy to guess, but you do not say how old the car is, how many miles, when serviced, if brakes ever serviced, brake fluid changed etc.

Best have the car checked out.  Best try it yourself with or without the good lady in the car.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skoffski said:

Easy to guess, but you do not say how old the car is, how many miles, when serviced, if brakes ever serviced, brake fluid changed etc.

Sorry - registered Nov '17, purchased Feb '18, 18K on clock, (1st serviced at 12K).

Suspect if I take it in I'll be told all appears ok, so hopefully it'll perform its lacklustre braking for me one of these days.

Brake fade is caused by repeated use of the brakes, heating everthing up and boiling the brake fluid locally. This occurs while you are on the move and pumping the pedal,  heart in mouth, was the usual outcome.

So imho one application of the brakes would not cause "brake fade". 

If you keep strong pressure on  the brake pedal while at a standstill, then it will tend to sink towards the floor. This is normal.

I often find the first use of the brakes in the morning is weak and makes a grating sound. I believe it is the build up of slight surface rust which occurs during a damp night and especially after washing the car. I trail the brakes for a few seconds as I come up to the first stopping point to clear the rust film, you can hear it if this is the cause of the problem. The brakes work as normal after that.

• Like 2

Sounds like a dirt/rust issue, especially  given the grit/salt on the roads at the moment. Hydraulic fluid was fine. Hopefully it'll do it when I'm driving so I can get a better idea myself.

Just need to get the damned leaking pan roof sorted.:angry: