Timing chain concern

tyreman1

Hi all,wife's 1.2  2007 Mk2 Fabia only 70 k has intermittent management light on and off, code read came up with camshaft sensor, tested sensor and all ok ,have been told it could be due to chain stretch instead, the engine isn't a rattler,is this normal at this mileage and should I be concerned about it ??? thanks

edit.......just found previous posts about chains,bugger.

Edited by tyreman1
Found other posts on item

Hi tyreman.

I've no real comforting news for you but I am just going through the same thing. I had the sensors replaced to be sure and still the same error codes. Intermittent engine light as well.

I only bought our 1.2 tsi Monte Carlo in July last year and thankfully put aside £500 for the chain as a precaution, bartered off the purchase price, which I am now having done this week (mines a 2011 with only 44k on the clock.....I just Love that VAG allowed an engine to be used with such a fundamental flaw!).

On advice on this forum I'm having it done through a local Skoda dealer rather than an independent and to be honest they did work out cheaper, but dont expect much change out of £650 to £800 to have the chain done (I've now had quotes from 5 dealerships in my area and beyond plus two independents).

Here is the thread for the advice I was given, two links to the chain kit on there as well:

I know that Skoda will be overcharging for the parts in comparison to sourcing them myself but the warranty you get afterwards is worth the extra IMHO just for peace of mind and no quibbles if you have to take it back as well.