Couple head gasket questions

4 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

The correct answer to which is "It's my car. Now are you going to do what I want or am I going to go to another garage?"

Yeah I know Ken, I was stupid. But I'll be taking an approach similar to that this afternoon when I go back to the HG garage

Okay just got back from the garage. The head bolts were put on in the correct sequence and the correct torques, the head was skimmed and crack tested so I'm fairly confident the pressure isn't from the HG. So that leaves the egr cooler, the garage was too busy to do it today. If I just bypass it myself, will I get an eml light? Does coolant leak out when I disconnect the pipes? I know @Tech1e showed me a diagram, looks a little awkward to get to

31 minutes ago, Tomjones1995 said:

Okay just got back from the garage. The head bolts were put on in the correct sequence and the correct torques, the head was skimmed and crack tested so I'm fairly confident the pressure isn't from the HG. So that leaves the egr cooler, the garage was too busy to do it today. If I just bypass it myself, will I get an eml light? Does coolant leak out when I disconnect the pipes? I know @Tech1e showed me a diagram, looks a little awkward to get to

Ignore the egr cooler questions. They've been answered before on my previous thread. Apologies 

Just a quick question. What tools do people think I'l need for disconnecting the egr cooler? I'm think mole grips for the intercooler pipe clips but what about the coolant hoses on the cooler? Thanks 

8 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

On a car this age, I think it'll depend on what's been used on the EGR water lines. Some may still have spring clips like the intercooler pipes, but others may have had those replaced with Jubilee clips.

Oh right okay, do you think the pipes will be difficult to put back on? It's just I don't want to disconnect the egr cooler and not be able to join the coolant hoses together

On 22/02/2019 at 16:28, Tomjones1995 said:

Oh right okay, do you think the pipes will be difficult to put back on? It's just I don't want to disconnect the egr cooler and not be able to join the coolant hoses together

The hard part is likely to be finding the correct size pipe to replace the cooler. And no I don't know what size those pipes are!

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

The hard part is likely to be finding the correct size pipe to replace the cooler. And no I don't know what size those pipes are!

I thought it was a simple case of disconnecting the egr cooler hoses and connecting the inlet hose to the end of the outlet hose. I didnt realise that new hoses were required?

12 minutes ago, Wino said:

Best bet is to go back to your other thread and look carefully at what Tech1e showed and wrote.  Pretty sure it's well covered there.  No extra bits required as far as I remember. 

Yeah I did have a look at that and I've checked my car as well so I know that they're all spring clips but was concerned about whether the hoses would be too stiff to reconnect and Id have difficulty doing it. I'm planning on attempting it this weekend myself

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Best bet is to go back to your other thread and look carefully at what Tech1e showed and wrote.  Pretty sure it's well covered there.  No extra bits required as far as I remember. 

@Tomjones1995 - OK, I'd presumed that the EGR cooler would have in and out connections, and you'd need something to join the 2 ends together?

7 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Tomjones1995 - OK, I'd presumed that the EGR cooler would have in and out connections, and you'd need something to join the 2 ends together?

Here's @Tech1e's picture and instructions. Looks like red 1 hose can be disco'd from the cooler then move/rotate far enough to get onto where blue 2 is currently. Job done.

Edited by Wino