New car time Octavia or Superb

MrDeeJay

Hi guys,

New to the forum as I’ve found it when trying to research which SKODA to buy.

The new Skoda cars look good and styling is very impressive for both Octavia and Superb, I can see the Superb looking a little Audi A6 on the outside, however not up with quality of materials.

I am looking a used car say 2 years old 66/17 that is going to stay with me for many years to come, young family growing up and for holidays etc.

Octavia would be I think an SEL 1.5 petrol car but unsure if I was going for the superb to go for the 1.4 petrol or the 2.0 diesel on the SE Business/Technology trim.  I currently have a Euro 4 diesel car just now.  I suppose it’s the diesel vs petrol, government now taking a stand with diesel, even though they tempted me 10 years ago to buy a diesel by low car tax.  

Opionions welcome.

• Like 1

First decide if the Superb is not too big.....it is not a car for running around a busy town slotting into tight parking slots. It is a car designed and built as a long distance high speed cruiser.

A lengthy test drive or three is highly recommended.

I went for the Superb on impulse, in the showroom, next to an Octavia it looked and felt far better built. For instance, the gas struts on the bonnet, dual bonnet latches, more or less full underbody protection, independent rear suspension, more comprehensive standard equipment etc influenced me. Finished better. And yet the price difference at the time wasn't much, in fact if you spec an Octavia feature for feature, the price sometimes comes down in favour of the Superb.

But it sometimes feels like driving a supertanker down some streets in my town with the width and length. Parking it can be a bit of a challenge as the parking sensors seem overly sensitive with lots of screaming.

The Octavia will probably be significantly cheaper to run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, xman said:

First decide if the Superb is not too big.

The Octavia will probably be significantly cheaper to run.

Agreed re parking ,  it's a big car. I'm OK with it (used to drive a Ford Zodiac years ago!) but my wife doesn't like driving it wheras she is happy driving the older Octavia mkI  (the  mk III Octavia  is much bigger though!)

OK mine is a MKII S model Superb but I've not found it expensive to run. Car tax is reasonable, Insurance is cheap, servicing is cheap, tyres are long lasting (35kmiles on a set)  and reasonably cheap (Crossclimates about £80 each) . Fuel economy is over 45mpg (petrol!). This might not be quite as cheap as the Octavia but I wouldn't call it a significant difference- might be a different story if I had bought the v6!

Edited by bigjohn

Mk3 mid spec+ Superb tyres cost a lot more, SE spec has 215 55 17 tyres, my SEL has 235 45 18, just price them up! 

Maybe significantly is an exaggeration, however depreciation is also somewhat higher. 

Edited by xman

Wow - 

14 minutes ago, xman said:

235 45 18, just price them up! 

Maybe significantly is an exaggeration, however depreciation is somewhat higher. 

Wow Crossclimates for 235 45 18 - £178!

I suppose I cheated re depreciation - I bought a cheap unpopular model (petrol wasn't popular back in 2015)  at a year old taking the sting out of that one. I keep for many years and throw away! However the original poster was also wanting to buy one at about two years old so this may help, times have also somewhat changed so there may be a bargain to be had on a diesel these days (how many miles a year will the car do? @MrDeeJay).

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Hi big John,

Currently I do around 12,000 miles a year.  Looking to do maybe more holidays, weekends away over the years to come when the wee yin gets a bit older.

I understand the DPF could be an issue in years to come, with build up of ash.

Looking at a car around 2 years old, bit of a discount and also a little warranty left as well.

Depreciation, will be worse for Superb or Octavia.  To be fair I’m looking st keeping it long term say 8-10 years.

I bought my 2.0tdi Octavia mk3 elegance (same spec as an SEL apparently) as a 2.5yr old car, it's been great, DPF should according to % on VagDPF last until 230,000 miles. I've never had an issue with regens, the car does its thing and it's no problem. 55-60mpg easily, up to 70mpg a couple of times. Plenty of power, plenty of space, and I love it.

19 minutes ago, MrDeeJay said:

Currently I do around 12,000 miles a year.  Looking to do maybe more holidays, weekends away over the years to come when the wee yin gets a bit older.

I understand the DPF could be an issue in years to come, with build up of ash.

Looking at a car around 2 years old, bit of a discount and also a little warranty left as well.

Depreciation, will be worse for Superb or Octavia.  To be fair I’m looking st keeping it long term say 8-10 years.

So if buying a Superb at 2 yrs old, high depreciation is a plus, then keeping 8+ yrs, further depreciation is not an issue.

12k pa, keeper for 8+ yrs is clearly petrol territory. No DPF or EGR to worry about for a start. The 1.4tsi CZEA in the Mk3 Superb seems (touch wood) one of the most reliable engines produced by VAG and is capable of excellent economy, but don't be too blinded by some of the claims posted here from confirmation biased owners, round town or shortish runs it will only return in the 30s. As I said earlier, the Superb comes into its own on a motorway where its relatively easy to crack 50 mpg in a 1.4 tsi.

Again test drive recommended.

As far as potential repair costs go, Superb SE+ spec has ACC as standard, if you need a windscreen replacement, or have a front end bump, it usually requires recalibration of the radar unit, which can cost £450, not always covered under some insurance policies.

IIRC,  ACC is a cost option on the Octavia across all specs except L&K and unlikely to be found on most 2nd hand examples. 

Edited by xman

36 minutes ago, xman said:

don't be too blinded by some of the claims posted here from confirmation biased owners, round town or shortish runs it will only return in the 30s. As I said earlier, the Superb comes into its own on a motorway where its relatively easy to crack 50 mpg in a 1.4 tsi.

Hope I'm not biased - figures on mine measured tank to tank and until Christmas I used to put them in in Spritmonitor (can't be bothered now!)

Economy wise the tsi is good but different! 

With my old brigade 1.4tsi If I drive into my nearest city and back  (5 miles) and then drop in on a few places (car park in city centre, supermarket, possibly stop at petrol station etc...) then you'd get  about 38mpg. On my commute of 30 miles each way I get about 46mpg and on a long run as long as you stick to about 70 then cracking 50mpg is possible(my best journey was through Austria at 53mpg) . My overall average is over 45mpg over lots of miles. However compared to a diesel it is very load, hill and right foot sensitive - managed to average about 37mpg thorugh Europe on a journey once when very laden with big people and big stuff and "getting a move on".

My previous diesel Superb mkI varied less between different loads & speeds although it took ages to warm up and wasn't very economical until it was.

I wouldn't discount diesel (2.0 best) as later DPF implementations are much better and you may (er or may not!)  get much more for your money. As long as your driving involves some reasonable runs you'll be OK these days. However the 1.4 EA211 (125,140,150) seems to be a great engine but the 1.5 has been having some "kangaroo" issues (search this forum!) so for the moment I'd avoid.

Edited by bigjohn

• 1 month later...

@MrDeeJay not sure if you made up your mind yet but agree with the comments that 12k a year is about diesel territory. 

However I won't be touching a anything with the smaller DSG I.e. 1.4 superb Tsi. If you can live with a bigger car, get the superb. I am biased since I have a 280 lol. 

220 TSI SE L Superb.  For 12K miles a year I wouldn't bother with a diesel.  The only benefit of a diesel is cheaper running costs for high mileage users and to a lesser extent you also have the low-down torque if you are going to tow, but the 2.0 TSI units are just as torquey.   I would not class 12k miles PA as high mileage and as a long term 'keeper' in the not too distant future I think diesel users will be heavily penalised by some government money making  emissions reduction scheme in built up areas, possibly just at the pumps with higher taxes, who knows? 

I know people praise the 1.4/1.5 TSI units and they are surprisingly good for the capacity but I feel they are better suited a smaller/lighter hatchback/supermini.  There's also a lot of complaints about their low speed/gearing 'characteristics' too.   I've driven every engine in the Superb range (excl latest WLTP ones) and I would say that if running costs are a deal breaker then get the 150 TDI (it's bloody good and the best diesel) but if that's not a concern then the 220 TSI is the one to go for.  It's a gem of an engine and is buttery smooth in comparison to any TDI unit.  

Edited by penguin17

Hi guys,

thanks for the replys.

im still looking to find my new car and edging towards the superb as the better half thinks an Octavia looks like a taxi, I don’t as they seem to be using more rapids and seats these days.  Looking like the dealers are charging more for sel petrol octavias as diesels are cheaper.

my budget is for a decent 2 year old superb probably leaning on the se business/technology as more toys for the money, but annoying the dealers seem to be putting a premium on this despite it being the same price as an se new.

having around 16k it hard to find a petrol se tech as these would have been ex fleet cars and run on diesel.

still looking for a car to jump out at me.

Edited by MrDeeJay

I went for Superb Estate SEL 2.0 Diesel factory buildto my spec. and dont regret it. Internt purchase save £000’s inc. skoda’s discounts. My local dealer could get anywhere near . Purchase on Skoda PCP for the £4k discount, add.  discount from driverhedesl Settle in first 14days no additional costs

On 21/03/2019 at 08:56, MrDeeJay said:

my budget is for a decent 2 year old superb probably leaning on the se business/technology as more toys for the money, but annoying the dealers seem to be putting a premium on this despite it being the same price as an se new.

I was looking at the SE technology on the Karoq a while ago when it first came out and whilst it it true the new list prices are about the same compared to the SE, the Technology version does not have the PCP deposit contribution available (Myself I'd take a PCP out and then clear it). This has a knock on effect further down the food chain when the cars are a few years old.

I went for petrol last time mainly because the diesel versions were many thousands more at about one year old. I'd say the situation has reversed between 2015 so diesels looking really good value. Later DPF implementations are way better that some of the horrible ones of old so shouldn't give you trouble if doing 12,000 miles a year. - If I was buying a used one at the moment I'd go for a pre March 2017 2.0CR 150ps without SCR.

On 21/03/2019 at 08:56, MrDeeJay said:

Hi guys,

thanks for the replys.

im still looking to find my new car and edging towards the superb as the better half thinks an Octavia looks like a taxi, I don’t as they seem to be using more rapids and seats these days.  Looking like the dealers are charging more for sel petrol octavias as diesels are cheaper.

having around 16k it hard to find a petrol se tech as these would have been ex fleet cars and run on diesel.

still looking for a car to jump out at me.

Very happy with my Octavia 1.4 TSI SEL DSG.  55 mpg, good additions ie proximity warning etc.

A a very high miler the fuel tank size on the Octy 3 is annoying ie it dropped from 55 litres to 50 litre and I do not seem to be able to fill the expansion tank as with earlier models.

Size is big enough in the Octy and too big in the Superb I felt for occasional town dirving and parking. 

Would not buy a diesel with all the ULEZs coming in.

Agree about the smaller 50 litre tank in the Octavia but only if you are a trip round say remote parts of Scotland. Current Vrs petrol will go from 425-525 miles depending on the distance covered. My 2016 Superb 1.4Tsi SE manual regularly did 700-740 miles from the 66 litre tank (could squeeze 70 litres in just). The Superb is a big car and wife struggled to park it whereas she has no problems in the Octy. Better interior quality and refinement (including ride) in the Superb. Better handling in the Octy and better brakes.:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So what is going on with the Superb?. New Car Discount have no models  on offer  and  even Skoda UK say Superbs are available only from stock, all suggesting something is afoot, presumably a new model ?.  If so, let's hope this time they offer decent petrol engines, such as a 1.8 TSI manual, the 1.5 being totally  discredited , apart from possibly in Australia where it might feel more at home?

17 hours ago, Tony R said:

So what is going on with the Superb?. New Car Discount have no models  on offer  and  even Skoda UK say Superbs are available only from stock, all suggesting something is afoot, presumably a new model ?.  If so, let's hope this time they offer decent petrol engines, such as a 1.8 TSI manual, the 1.5 being totally  discredited , apart from possibly in Australia where it might feel more at home?

Looks like facelift with new engine as you said, its been almost 5 years since introduction.

On 19/04/2019 at 10:54, MrDeeJay said:

Thanks guys for all your help.

picked up a 16 Superb SEL 150 2.0 TDI at the beginning of the week.

Beautiful car.

Good choice. Was going to say to avoid the SE / SE Technology, as they miss out on the LED headlights.

SE L gets them as standard though, you won't have another car without them after driving through a winter.