Which Version to Buy

DAZZA66

Due to my recent purchase of a puppy (flat-coated retreiver) it is now time to change my car from a VW Up as the dog is already getting too big for it.

Was looking to get a Yeti and was wondering which version to go for;

Not sure if to go 140/170bhp (diesel), 2wd / 4wd, or pre/post facelift.

Pros and cons would be good - I must admit I  am tempted by a pre facelift 170 4x4 ?

Any advice would be welcome

1 hour ago, DAZZA66 said:

Probably 10,000 per year - not really diesel territory but not sure if the petrol would be too under-powered really.

Try the 1.2 Tsi - and check other posts about them - you will be surprised how powerful they are as long as you don’t need to tow a caravan. If you are doing 10,000 miles per year you really don’t want a diesel.

I have had 2 1.2’s after a 2 litre diesel and was surprised how lively they are and, of course, how much quieter they are to drive.

My wifes euro 5 fabia diesel is only doing 4k a year. We have had it 4 years with no issue. The short trip diesel scare is just that, as long as you do enough occasional longer trips to give the engine a chance to burn off the soot. She goes to York every other week, 45 miles return and that has kept the system healthy.

10k a year is plenty good enough and enough miles to warrant the saving in fuel the diesel will give you, as long as this is a mix of long and short trips.

Having said that you really want a euro 5 car that has not had the fix, and you are unlikely to find one at a dealer. I would not risk the possible issues, and my wifes car remains unmolested.

So if you go diesel you really want a 2wd 110ps with the adblu tank in the boot.

If you can, get a post 2015 car with the euro 6 diesel, or if you have to go petrol, a later 1.2 with the cambelt rather than the earlier timing chain which has proved unreliable.

1 hour ago, Expatman said:

Try the 1.2 Tsi - and check other posts about them - you will be surprised how powerful they are as long as you don’t need to tow a caravan. If you are doing 10,000 miles per year you really don’t want a diesel.

I have had 2 1.2’s after a 2 litre diesel and was surprised how lively they are and, of course, how much quieter they are to drive.

+1 -  and re being quieter, I have to check the rev counter to make sure mine's running. We have some fair old hills round here and with 4 large adults aboard a 1in5 poses no problems :biggrin:.

38 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

My wifes euro 5 fabia diesel is only doing 4k a year. We have had it 4 years with no issue. The short trip diesel scare is just that, as long as you do enough occasional longer trips to give the engine a chance to burn off the soot. She goes to York every other week, 45 miles return and that has kept the system healthy.

10k a year is plenty good enough and enough miles to warrant the saving in fuel the diesel will give you, as long as this is a mix of long and short trips.

Having said that you really want a euro 5 car that has not had the fix, and you are unlikely to find one at a dealer. I would not risk the possible issues, and my wifes car remains unmolested.

So if you go diesel you really want a 2wd 110ps with the adblu tank in the boot.

If you can, get a post 2015 car with the euro 6 diesel, or if you have to go petrol, a later 1.2 with the cambelt rather than the earlier timing chain which has proved unreliable.

Nevertheless every technical advisor you read will advise a minimum of 18,000 miles per year to justify a diesel. If you buy a Mk 1 with the earlier 1.2 chain engine just check it has had the timing chain fixed. I had a Mk 1 1.2 for five trouble free years, great car.

I have averaged 15k a year in 3 Yetis since 2010, and had to have diesel for the first two as company lease cars. I chose diesel for my own current 150ps, as I would not willingly drive a petrol vehicle now.  I find diesel engines much more relaxed to drive, and to get the power i wanted, could only have gone for the petrol 1.4 L&K with its awful interior colour and likely to leak sunroof.

The 18k is surely more about the break even cost of petrol v diesel and the initial higher price of a diesel, and may well be correct if you are looking at new cars.

However with the diesel scare the second hand diesels are a bargain at the moment, and well worth buying even for lower mileage use, as long as you do enough longer trips to keep them healthy.

There was a thread on here or the other site about someone who could not part exchange their diesel as the dealers were awash with them and would not take any more. This can only equate to lower prices.

When we bought my wifes third fabia, it was one year old and although it had been more new than a petrol version, petrol fabias have always held their value better, so we picked from a choice of similar age petrol and diesel cars and to me it was a no brainer to buy the 100ps diesel instead of the much lower power petrol at the same price. At the time a 1 year old mid spec car with some extras at £8k. This car does nearly 60mpg regularly compared to the sub 30mpg she used to get in her first 1.4 petrol fabia. As we keep her car typically for around 8 years, its residual value will be very small, and it won't matter then that it is diesel. Cars of that age are bpought soloely on condition.

Personally I think the second hand diesel values will start to pick up eventually. Euro 6 diesels do not emit any more nox than petrol cars, and much less co2. How much longer can it be before the increase in co2 due to the rush for larger petrol powered cars which should really use diesel engines spurs government action?

Now is the perfect time to pick up a near new diesel bargain.

Edited by kenfowler3966
  • Like 1

There are going to be lots of VW Group Euro 6 2.0TDI / SCR (AdBlue) vehicles / models going back into dealers at 2-3 years old. Lease returns / Ex Mobility and trade ins.

IMO well worth avoiding buying as a 'Used car' that will be or soon be out of Manufacturers Warranty.

Too risky. 

59 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I have averaged 15k a year in 3 Yetis since 2010, and had to have diesel for the first two as company lease cars. I chose diesel for my own current 150ps, as I would not willingly drive a petrol vehicle now.  I find diesel engines much more relaxed to drive, and to get the power i wanted, could only have gone for the petrol 1.4 L&K with its awful interior colour and likely to leak sunroof.

The 18k is surely more about the break even cost of petrol v diesel and the initial higher price of a diesel, and may well be correct if you are looking at new cars.

However with the diesel scare the second hand diesels are a bargain at the moment, and well worth buying even for lower mileage use, as long as you do enough longer trips to keep them healthy.

There was a thread on here or the other site about someone who could not part exchange their diesel as the dealers were awash with them and would not take any more. This can only equate to lower prices.

When we bought my wifes third fabia, it was one year old and although it had been more new than a petrol version, petrol fabias have always held their value better, so we picked from a choice of similar age petrol and diesel cars and to me it was a no brainer to buy the 100ps diesel instead of the much lower power petrol at the same price. At the time a 1 year old mid spec car with some extras at £8k. This car does nearly 60mpg regularly compared to the sub 30mpg she used to get in her first 1.4 petrol fabia. As we keep her car typically for around 8 years, its residual value will be very small, and it won't matter then that it is diesel. Cars of that age are bpought soloely on condition.

Personally I think the second hand diesel values will start to pick up eventually. Euro 6 diesels do not emit any more nox than petrol cars, and much less co2. How much longer can it be before the increase in co2 due to the rush for larger petrol powered cars which should really use diesel engines spurs government action?

Now is the perfect time to pick up a near new diesel bargain.

I applaud your optimism but you may possibly be a bit delusional if you think diesel engines will lose their “deadly” reputation. The move over the next couple of years is likely to shift fundamentally towards electric and hybrid cars, electric for those in urban and near urban areas and hybrid for those living further from towns. Electric charging points are increasing rapidly - BP have just announced a big expansion and others will quickly follow as the tipping point of ownership weighs in favour of electric. Range is rapidly increasing and charging times are reducing. For those concerned about range or living in far flung places hybrid cars will become the norm. It’s like all new technical introductions, slow, slow, slow, slow, faster, faster then take off. Of course traditional internal combustion engined cars will continue to be driver for years yet, it’s just that the switch to electric/hybrid will become irresistible for new cars over the few years.

Not saying I like it but it’s going to happen!

Yet all these hybrids are lugging around heavy batteries, that are flat most of the time, running on the petrol or diesel secondary power source, and getting very poor fuel consumption.

My colleague at work had one of the mitsubishi outlanders for a few years. That could do 30 miles on the battery so he could just get to the office and back. However he often had to do longer trips for work and that was always using the engine and getting less that 30mpg!

A huge number of car owners will not be able to charge at home? My daughter has just moved into a very eco designed new terraced house. There is no designated parking spot and no opportunity to charge an electric car.

Most of the electricity to charge these cars comes from fossil fules anyway, we are just moving the problem to the power plant.

Unfortunately I think you are right though and we are heading off down another blind alley to huge problems in the future. Battery mountains, toxic waste, using up exotic metals etc.....

It is just possible I am driving the last car I will ever buy if it lasts long enough.....

20 minutes ago, DAZZA66 said:

If I was to go for a 2012 170bhp 4x4 is there anything I need to aware of or look out for - I am a bit confused as to this modification that is being mentioned ?

The modification is the EA189 update for Euro IV TDi's - software only for the 2.0 and a bit of additional hardware (and an ECU flash) for the 1.6 TDi.

Read my experiences here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/429970-ea189-emissions-update-my-experience/?tab=comments#comment-4854924

23 minutes ago, DAZZA66 said:

If I was to go for a 2012 170bhp 4x4 is there anything I need to aware of or look out for - I am a bit confused as to this modification that is being mentioned ?

With a 2012 170 I'd look primarily for good maintenance (all haldex fluid changes and brake fluid done on time), a recent cambelt / water pump and decent provenance (low number of owners etc).

Also worth checking how clogged the DPF is with VAG DPF app - more here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/438744-dpf-ash-oil-level/?tab=comments#comment-4934214

3 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Yet all these hybrids are lugging around heavy batteries, that are flat most of the time, running on the petrol or diesel secondary power source, and getting very poor fuel consumption.

My colleague at work had one of the mitsubishi outlanders for a few years. That could do 30 miles on the battery so he could just get to the office and back. However he often had to do longer trips for work and that was always using the engine and getting less that 30mpg!

A huge number of car owners will not be able to charge at home? My daughter has just moved into a very eco designed new terraced house. There is no designated parking spot and no opportunity to charge an electric car.

Most of the electricity to charge these cars comes from fossil fules anyway, we are just moving the problem to the power plant.

Unfortunately I think you are right though and we are heading off down another blind alley to huge problems in the future. Battery mountains, toxic waste, using up exotic metals etc.....

It is just possible I am driving the last car I will ever buy if it lasts long enough.....

Hydrogen fuel cell is the most elegant and sustainable solution - but the politicians are hooked on electric so down that cul-de-sac we go. As I said I don’t like the electric direction but that’s the way we are being driven.             Baa..Baa..Baa seems the only proper response!!!!

7 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Hydrogen fuel cell is the most elegant and sustainable solution - but the politicians are hooked on electric so down that cul-de-sac we go. As I said I don’t like the electric direction but that’s the way we are being driven.             Baa..Baa..Baa seems the only proper response!!!!

Couldn't agree more!