Knocking Noise Driving Me Mad !

Citigo_123

Hi everybody. Need some advice. Brought a 14 plate Citgo with 25k on the clock first week of Jan, its been all good until about 2 weeks ago when I started hearing a knocking noise from what seems like the rear passenger side. The noise happens when going over certain bumps / holes in the road and sometimes when I go round a corner and the weight is shifted onto the other side of the car. I have removed the spare wheel, boot carpet, driven with the back seats folded down and anything else which can move and even stuffed a tea towel in the hole in the rear trim where you can get access to the rear light cluster in case it was loose trim ! But to no avail !

Been to a garage this morning and they said nothing seems loose and don't seem to be able to find anything wrong ! I have googled the issue and the suspension keeps getting mentioned. Anybody else had this issue ?

Thanks in advance !!!! :-)

@Citigo_123 I've had the same issue since I got our 2014 Citigo Sport exactly one year ago. I mentioned it when it went in for a service at the dealer last week and they found both rear shock absorbers were leaking with the driver side being the worst. They wanted £300 to replacement them. I declined as it's a ridculously easy job, not much more than changing a wheel. I bought a pair of OE Bilstein shocks and fitted them this morning. The noise is 90% gone now. When I took the top mount off I found the rubber was a little mishapen after 71,000 miles so if you're going to do it get 4 pieces of 1S0512335A (one goes inside and one goes outside the body one each side). I think if I'd replaced those it would be 100% fixed. Peter

Yeah as @sportq says, most likely be the rear shock absorbers - check for leaks, check rubber mounts & you could try bouncing the car on that corner, to see if it “absorbs” the bounce. 

...With it being a knocking noise which is happening occasionally, it sounds more like a perished rubber mount. 

Edited by Jonny118118

Many thanks for the advice @Jonny118118 and @sportq. Looks like the shock(s) need replacing. Just checking to see if anybody had problems with the interior creaking/rubbing/knocking before I change the shocks as I don't want to change them just for it to be the same :-(

The garage didn't see any leaking or anything immediately wrong but if a mount was worn i'm not sure how would they test for that (play in the shock maybe).

Think I may take the plunge and get them changed.

Thanks guys

22 hours ago, nbJubilee said:

Check your rear bump stops too. Just had mine replaced under extended five year warranty.

@nbJubilee Good point, although replacing the shocks lessened the noise if it is the bumper end stops it could be that the back end bounces around less and so they're quieter now.

Do you know which of the parts in the illustration below you had replaced? Number (4) is described as a "Guide Profile" was it that?

Peter

Citigo_bumper.png