Noisy bearings?

Fekker

Hi guys, I’m looking for your valued knowledge on this very annoying problem I have with my 1.6 diesel Greenline Superb, around November  last year I heard what sounded like someone had a blown exhaust beside me on the motorway, I was shocked to find the noise was coming from my car. The exhaust is fine but now the noise is very annoying, it starts at around 30mph and seems to quieten at 65mph and really loud if I go above that. It sounds like a propeller powered airplane or speedboat for want of a better description and I can’t tell which wheel or wheels it’s coming from. I took the car to a garage to check the bearings but they said they were fine, they took the car on a test and couldn’t tell where the noise was coming from either. I’ve had faulty bearings on my last car but this is nothing like that, could tyres be the cause of such a loud noise? It’s embarrassing now to have any passengers in the car for the noise, any suggestions?

Tyre sawing sounds like a wheel bearing on its way out 

rub your over the tyre tread and you’ll find the leading edge’s of the tread raised.

i replaced 2 tyres because of that issue, that was after trying them on the front which made the car horrendous to drive so that proved how bad they had got.

Maybe worth a check

Edited by Snapper1725
  • Like 2

As above, run your hands over the inside edge of the rear tyres, if instead if being smooth they feel more like a 50p coin then your rear tyres are saw toothing due to the out of alignment rear suspension, a common problem on the MkII Superb.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I had rear tyres changed over a month ago which didn’t solve it so I’m sure the front tyres are to blame , I’m going to get a 4 wheel alignment and new front tyres as they show some signs of outer edge wear and see how it goes from there. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update you guys, after replacing all 4 tyres the noise was the same and became louder a few days later enabling me to hear the front passenger side noisy and the sound going away on a right turn, I replaced both front bearings but still had a much lower noise: replacing both rear bearings has resulted in a very quiet car. Both passenger side ones were shot.