Superb MKIII headlight lens replacement

Just coming back from a trip to the local tip and I hit a branch sticking out into the road a bit. Must have fallen off in the strong winds

LH head light lens plastic took the brunt. internal lighting all un-damaged and no damage to the rest of the car :/

First question: Can the lens be replaced as a separate part or has the whole lighting unit got to be repaired?

If the former, how easy is it to do? 

thanks,

Richard.

You can’t buy the lens on it’s own, however if you get one from a damaged light (broken mounting brackets) then they can be changed over by heating them in an oven to soften the adhesive.

If you also have the SLA (lit up ‘eyelashes’) then expect it to be an eyewatering price, if yours ‘just’ has bi-xenons, then it will only be ‘kin expensive! :giggle:

But even a halogen headlight lens may be the same? (as they are a clear un-patterned lens)

Likely to run into 4 figures as the bumper needs removing, and a diagnostic setup of headlight alignment is required. Might be worth considering an insurance claim if you have NCD protection.

The part no shown is a standard Xenon unit with AFS but without SLA. According to skoda-parts.com, from them  the genuine Skoda unit is around £650 (but they only have LHD units), with LHD OE Hella unit around £420.

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/3v1941015a-front-left-headlamp-skoda-28203.html

UK Skoda dealers will be more expensive, wouldn't be surprised if £800 or more for the part alone as they effectively have a monopoly on the RHD units. Then the labour on top.

Might be worthwhile phoning TPS however and cut the dealer out.

Edited by xman

Ouch :(

Already made an insurance claim a few months ago, so don;t really want to another one.

Trouble is, it is not something cosmetic I can avoid fixing for a few monthsuntil my pockets are a little less empty. :/

Who are TPS??

There is quite a good non-skoda garage near where I work. I am wondering if they will be able to cope with the work though.

It's ironic - I have had an intermittent fault flag up on the dashboard saying there is an AFS fault on the LH unit. I assumed it was a loose connection. Definitely faulty now :/

29 minutes ago, richardjh said:

Who are TPS??

TPS is the supply organisation set up and owned by VAG to supply/distribute parts and other supplies to the automotive trade , both VAG dealer network and independent garages. They are prohibited by VAG to supply the general public (though quite a few will do, if you go to the trade counter). The requirement they ask is proof you are a VAT registered garage.

Usually 30%+ cheaper on parts than your dealer will try to charge.

Try the resident Briskoda trade contact

Also worthwhile contacting Horton Skodashop, the guy there is often willing to talk discount

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/mobile/

Note if you order a unit, it will inevitably be non returnable, so make sure its is exactly what you need!

Best get a quote for the job from your local dealer and independent first before considering buying parts.

Maybe some glue/araldite/silcone sealant for now?

Edited by xman

Described as damaged, but it just looks like tape residue on the lens...

image.thumb.png.15482273ef6c3c8ffe655a8d376bc6fe.png

Used, but undamaged. It's off an L&K though, so will probably have SLA, it's the same part number as yours, but with a 'B' instead of an 'A' at the end...

image.thumb.png.dbf5dd58424640a251b947e448aa61f8.png

Superficial / cosmetic damage, but the part numbers match...

image.thumb.png.bafce49513e0925fb51797dacb1724e2.png

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1