Karoq weight compared to Tiguan

JackReacher

I'm looking at the 1.5tsi FWD options between the Karoq, Tguan and Ateca.  Looking at the specs, I'm struck by the weight of the Tiguan.  It's 180kg heavier in Match trim than a Karoq SEL, and 270kg heavier than an Ateca Xcellence.  How is this possible if they are essentially very similar cars?  I know the Tiguan is about 10cm longer and has better rear suspension, but still seems a lot of extra weight!  And this seems to show up with worse emissions and slower performance.  

It might be 10cm longer but its also taller and has a 40mm longer wheelbase. Might not be much but overall size difference will account for a bigger body which adds weight.

And don't forget the VW will probably be built better. I can remember working on an Audi A3 which was effectively the same generation as a Golf I had and was surprised by the differences in things like the weight of the door cards, the amount of sound insulation etc. etc.

• Like 1

Are VW, SEAT & Skoda all getting the 'kerb / unladen' weight from the same base figures?

Are the cars you are comparing all from the Figures for cars that have WLTP Certification, so 2019 models, 

not weights for 2017/18 vehicles compared with others that are built later and tested later?

I usually use a Lease Site to check Official Weights that they get from Manufacturers. 

Funnily put cars on a weigh bridge and you can find just how fictional some weights are.

I find SEAT are usually a bit lighter than SEAT give for the Kerb / Unladen weight.

Maybe finally VW are not cheating, or as some might call it, giving false figures, honest being the best policy.

20 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I've noticed that the Tiguan looks visually bigger on the road compared to the Karoq...

I've seen them both up close but not at the same time and my gut feeling was that the Tiguan was bigger inside and out no question.

• Like 1

Thanks all, I guess some of the extra weight is sound deadening etc.

Biggest surprise is that I just checked a 5 seat kodiaq with same engine, and thats still 80kg less than the Tiguan, that makes no sense at all.

Those Tiguan figures look a bit odd (if I'm reading them right) as the 4WD versions are only marginally heavier than the 2WD versions.

Whilst the difference in overall sizes of the Karoq and Tiguan aren't all that great having tried the latter over the former for size I found the Tiguan to be more spacious with a bigger boot. And my gut feeling was that to get decent performance from a petrol then you'd need the 2.0 but then you have to have 4WD, which I don't really want so I lost interest.