EPC and Roof Rattles!?!

Hi all.

I've got a Skoda Rapid 1.2 TSI (86bhp) 38k. Only had it 2k after my last one got written off by uninsured **** when it was parked... So far running great, good mph etc.

Coming back from supermarket I had no power at all and EPC light came on, limp home mode had triggered. I pulled over, turned on and off and the EPC disappeared and it runs like normal. 

It's still under a warranty so took it straight to my garage who plugged it in and said it threw up a code but it didn't really tell them anything (is it likely a code would tell them nothing?). He reset and said to bring it back if it continues. 

Few days later, EPC returns, but again disappears on restart. This time however there is rattle in the roof, passenger side from towards the rear, sounds like something it loose somewhere tapping on the underside of the roof top. It could be unrelated but seems odd that this is happening at the same time. 

With EPC light back on I got my wife to press brake and all check brake lights, which are working fine. Now the EPC isn't coming on. It has been sat a for a week and it's been very wet, but would hope that's not a problem, my 2001 fabia doesn't mind!

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Josh

?

Is this a Main Dealership that is reading the Fault Code?

?

When was the car first registered?

?

What servicing has it had, were the spark plugs changed?,   Were they checked.

they were due to be replaced at 4 years / 40,000 miles or sooner.

Thank you for your speedy response.

The garage is local garage with diagnostics reader, not a skoda dealership.

The car is 2014. 

Fully serviced with skoda last 3 years. spark plugs changed at 33000

Cheers,

Josh

You need to get the Fault Codes read and then post what they are.

Ask them what the code was that they cleared.

Skoda Full Services are Oil / Filter, Filters and look see and report.

Good that the spark plugs were changed, they will need checked though, and maybe the Ignition Coil is an issue.

Maybe @xman will see this and can offer advice, i know nothing about the 1.2TSI's.

Need to know if its the old camchain 8v engine or the newer cambelt 16v engine.

Buy a code reader and read the error codes.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?553997350

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?548775301

Could be an ignition fault, sounds more like a turbo actuator fault.

Error code will steer you in the right direction.

Skoda will charge for diagnostic scan, £80 typical, and then not tell you what codes they found, just how much they want to fix it.

• Like 1

Skoffski and Xman, thank you very much for your responses. 

I am going to take it into the garage again this week and will let you know if i can get the code from them, though the code reader is very reasonable and probably worth having one.

If it is a turbo actuator fault does that mean new turbo..? It is under warranty so hopefully that would be covered.

MickA - could an dying battery be a cause for a fault? 

Is the rattle (possibly cable or something) in the roof likely unconnected?

Cheers,

Josh

Is it a Skoda Warranty or third party warranty?

PS If you decide to buy one of those code readers don't forget to apply the discount code , currently SALE15 for 15% off.

Don't think rattle in roof is related, might be the exhaust shaking and hitting the bodywork 

Edited by xman

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/460710-replaced-the-battery-in-my-rapid/

Worth getting the battery checked. 

Not saying it's the cause but if you read my posts on the thread above I had the EPC light throw up plus traction control light and it went into limp mode, turn off and restart cleared it temporarily. New battery fitted solved it 

• Like 1

Xman - thanks again. Will do. The warranty is 3rd party... Was a used sale. I will check through what it covers but i think it is full mechanical and electrical

"Don't think rattle in roof is related, might be the exhaust shaking and hitting the bodywork " It sounds very much like the impact it is coming from the top rear corner and along the passenger side. Perhaps this should be a different thread once i've sorted the EPC!

MickA - thanks, i'll look through your thread and i'll get the battery checked, this did cross my mind. 

Edited by JWardSound
mistyped

update - the EPC fault seems to have gone away after a long drive. Potentially battery, or moisture on a sensor? it had been very wet the run up to the problem occuring.