Battery Change

I've recently had to change the car battery due to it's inefficiency, after which the heater will only blow cold air. The two occurrences seem too close to be random and I feel that they are liked. Has anyone else encountered this and can advise? ( Will I find a blown fuse or does something need resetting? The vehicle has air con not climate control. The two feeder pipes from the engine are hot as normal). Thank you.

There is a procedure in VCDS for re-setting the heater flaps. Applicable to Mk1 but unsure if applies to Mk2, someone may come along and advise. Can you hear the flaps moving when you change the setting from hot to cold.

I can’t see that the Hvac unit needs a kick up the bottom from VCDS, that should only be needed if you have replaced a flapmotor or are trying to see if the end limits have changed, but scanning it or connecting it to VCDS and checking if there are any stored faults and checking that the flap motors are moving through their full travel should help you move on with this issue.

I have had three different batteries, including the factory one and had them on and off a few times, to do a winter charge-up. This has never tripped out or interfered with the cars heating output.

If the car is heating up, so should the vents unless they are shut off or blocked somehow so its a strange one!

Unfortunately, I have the digital version (Climatronic) and the flaps certainly do make noise when you change settings. Usually you will notice if you change where you send the air, especially if you change it from one extreme to another, such as floor to screen.

The heater flaps are a hot/cold mixer as your thermostatic shower mixer, and have nothing to do with where you choose the air to come from - windscreen, centre dash or footwell - so if this isn't working they could be stuck in cold position.