My refined 2014 Citigo

P3P5I

As of December 2018 I have replaced my old R-reg Polo for a Citigo.

I bought it from Willis Motor Company in Ruislip (by the way, parts department there is VERY helpfull).

Car is a 2014 3DR Greentech 60BHP model in SE trim.

- electric heated mirrors,

- heated seats,

- fog lights.

I was and still I am very pleased with the car. its comfortable very fuel efficient and for its 60BHP, surprisingly very agile around town.

Despite of car being a 21st century vehicle its build simplicity lacks couple of every day refinements.

One of the first things I have added to my car, pretty much as most of older citigo models, were:

- parcel shelf strings (strings VAG no: 5G68634479B9, pins VAG no: 1M6867574A)

- boot light (managed to pick one up on eBay from newer model),

- interior light w/map lights.

sketch-1554557340775.png

As time went by, I was more and more falling in love with the car. Was reading more about things You can add and do to Your vehicle.

Having a VW Polo before I have realised that i should have an old VCDS software somewhere. Once I found it Ive started to have a bit of a fiddle with coding. With help from the Guide from this forum I was able to enable following options:

- cornering fog lights,

- auto lock,

- skoda driving school (speed is displayed on the radio and for some strange reason is more accurate than reading on the speedometer),

- coming/leaving home (that wouldnt go without issues, HERE)

CH/LH Lights wouldnt work the way it would satisfy me, so after bit of a reasearch Ive decided to add light switch with light sensor. Being very unlucky, the first switch I bought it worked but I had no patience to configure it by turning the knob back and forth numerous times to get the right setting on/off, so I had an idea to get a switch which can be configured via bluetooth connection.

Problem solved and now finally CH/LH lights works as intended. As a bonus I managed to get a matching backlights on the switch

_20190227_234921.JPG

It wasnt enough... From 2017 if recall correctly, Citigo received slightly different tail lights and they would and they are looking so much better than the pre-FL lights... oh and the same time I have added wiring to the n/s rear fog light. For those sceptical ones, it is absolutely legal to have two rear fog lights (HERE).

For the comparison on the below photo n/s is still preFL lens were o/s is already FL lens.

_20190216_111640.JPG

I didnt stop there, I wanted to improve sound quality just a little bit. So I have decided to look for rear speakers for my Citigo. Unfortunetly adding rear speakers without them being factory fitted would not be possible or at least I wouldnt be an easy option. I have sourced pair of original speaker together with the infills/backing panels.

When I was fitting speakers, followed advise from @Toby7243I have added bit of sound insulation between speaker panels and body work. I have to admit, that it may not improved sound quality but had reduced road noise just a bit.

For those of You, who would consider doing same mod:

- the wiring is NOT there,

- wihtout speaker inserts panels you CANNOT add rear speakers on 3DR variant as there is nowhere to attach them.

Oh, You do need to change/code Your radio settings using VCDS/VAG-com to use 4 speaker system. altough it will work without doing so as radio recognises 4-speaker system straight away after its being connected but You will get a fault code in Group-56 - Radio.

Edited by P3P5I
  • Thanks 1

I would not stop there... My Citigo came originally with the leather steering wheel... however I would much rather have a mutlifunction steering wheel. So, after spending numerous hours on some research, I ve decided to have one fitted to my car.

Citigo, unlike other Skoda models, was not available with MFSW for the UK market - correct me if Im wrong, where in the rest of the Europe MFSW was as a standard when choosing a car with a leather steering wheel. Sourcing buttons/controls was a bit of challenge to find one for left hand side of the steering wheel/single buttons.

In the end - I did managed to find a right buttons for my little gokart. Its still work in progress due to 'unforseen' technical issues. More reading HERE.

I could not resist to upgrade to sports steering wheel/flat bottom.

The last but not least on my upgrade list were some decent rims. My tyres were due for a replacement any way so I touhgt i would be a good time to get everything sorted in one ago. So I have ordered set of wheels from https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/

I would highly recommend them not only for prices but also for great level of customer service!

I went with Calibre Motion 15" to top up my black theme ;) As I didnt like the Calibre OEM centre caps I have replaced them with Skoda ones suppliied by eBay Seller: capsforcar

DSC_4611.JPG

Edited by P3P5I

On 06/04/2019 at 17:19, P3P5I said:

The last but not least on my upgrade list were some decent rims. My tyres were due for a replacement any way so I touhgt i would be a good time to get everything sorted in one ago. So I have ordered set of wheels from https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/

I would highly recommend them not only for prices but also for great level of customer service!

I went with Calibre Motion 15" to top up my black theme ;) As I didnt like the Calibre OEM centre caps I have replaced them with Skoda ones suppliied by eBay Seller: capsforcar

DSC_4611.JPG

Man, your car is looking AWESOME!

Can't wait to see it!

25 minutes ago, john2017 said:

I think the only diiference between your 60 and 75 bhp engines is the ecu calibration - re-calibration?

Hmmm... Im not sure if your post meant to go here lol the difference between 60 vs 75 engines it's also in gear ratios/final drive. Like someone wrote somewhere on this forum, that re-mapped 60 may be actually nipper than factory 75 due to different gearing/final drive.

56 minutes ago, P3P5I said:

Hmmm... Im not sure if your post meant to go here lol the difference between 60 vs 75 engines it's also in gear ratios/final drive. Like someone wrote somewhere on this forum, that re-mapped 60 may be actually nipper than factory 75 due to different gearing/final drive.

Gearbox is at the back of the engine

59 minutes ago, john2017 said:

Gearbox is at the back of the engine

erm... what?

gearbox on vehicles with engines transversely mounted (most of the FWD cars) is usually on the side of the engine on the cars with longitudinally placed engines gearbox is located right behind the engine along the long axis of the vehicle...

1 hour ago, P3P5I said:

erm... what?

gearbox on vehicles with engines transversely mounted (most of the FWD cars) is usually on the side of the engine on the cars with longitudinally placed engines gearbox is located right behind the engine along the long axis of the vehicle...

I was just trying to be helpful!