DPF symbol popped up along with yellow warning triangle

Hi there 

Have a 2014 diesel vrs estate 2.0 engine and this evening I noticed the above illuminated whilst parked up with engine on.

The DPF symbol was in “white” along with yellow warning triangle. I carried on driving in a lower gear above 2000 revs and within a minute both symbols disappeared.

I mainly drive short distances and The car completes its regeneration on a regular basis at least 2/3 times within last couple of weeks

Should I be concerned at all and is there anything I can do to ensure all

is well going forward eg more frequent motorway runs etc?

PS Also noticed some text

on the dash saying something like “Diesel Particulate Filter” which soon disappeared 

Thank you all

Edited by Upthepool

Short distances in a diesel will be causing the issue. The regens it'll be doing are active ones, because you're car isn't getting up to temperature, but it's aware it needs to regen. That's why the light has come on because the car has been unable to clear the DPF and it's alerting you to the fact (hence the DPF message and symbol on the dash).

I'd advise running the tank down to fumes, add an additive (like Wynns DPF cleaner), fill up with Shell V power or BP ultimate diesel and then go on both a fast drive (one where you both give the car a rag on some fast roads and then keeping it at a steady fast speed on a motorway).

The main aim is to ensure your exhaust gas temperature up above 600'c so the DPF can do a passive regeneration and to keep it high enough to carry on breaking down any more particles it can.

@tunedude Many thanks for your detailed reply

I will give this DPF cleaner a go and follow your suggestion. How far approx do I need to drive for this to take affect?

These “active” regens the car has been doing - has this achieved nothing then really? Basically I’ve not been driving long enough and often enough for the regen to be successful because the temperature hasn’t got hot enough. 

How often (if driven under right conditions) should these regens occur?

PS What does the Premium fuel do in all of this and is this only necessary when mixing with the Wynn DPF cleaner?

Many thanks 

Edited by Upthepool

You need to get the ash level of the DPF checked. Regens can't burn off ash only soot. 

Regens are done roughly every 400 miles, or when the back pressure sensor after the DPF detects poor exhaust flow.

At this stage I doubt cleaner will do anything, other than add to the impending cost of a new DPF. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Upthepool said:

@tunedude Many thanks for your detailed reply

I will give this DPF cleaner a go and follow your suggestion. How far approx do I need to drive for this to take affect?

These “active” regens the car has been doing - has this achieved nothing then really? Basically I’ve not been driving long enough and often enough for the regen to be successful because the temperature hasn’t got hot enough. 

How often (if driven under right conditions) should these regens occur?

PS What does the Premium fuel do in all of this and is this only necessary when mixing with the Wynn DPF cleaner?

Many thanks 

An active regen happens because the car goes 'sugar, I'm getting clogged up here!!!' and the car attempts to make the exhaust temperature hotter itself by fuel and timing wizardry. The car is programmed to be looking out for the predetermined soot level (which yours will no doubt be exceeding) and then the car goes into an active regen. That message you saw on the dash is more the car going 'I need to finish the regen because we're in trouble cheif' That's because as you've previously said, you're doing a lot of short journeys and the car probably hasn't been finishing the active regens. 

A passive regen is more a 'it just happens' process because the exhaust gases have been hot enough for long enough to allow the DPF to carry out it's clean up. You won't have even known it's done it. That's where the taking it for a trip down the motorway comes up.

Using premium fuel and a DPF cleaner additive.......that's more a belt and braces approach. A lot of people go premium diesels aren't anything special, but I've always using them. Fifth gear did do a test and proved the cetane rating of the premium diesels did provide a better burn. Which you need to happen at the moment. The DPF cleaner should hopefully enable the regen to happen at a slightly cooler temperature. That's the theory behind it anyway. Again, a lot of people say they're no use nor ornament but every little helps.

If you still continue to have problems after trying all the above, there's two outcomes; a forced regen at a garage or a new DPF.

• Like 1

I would download VAG DPF and get yourself a cheap ODBII bluetooth dongle and check the state of your DPF. It doesn't sound like the regens are ever finishing. 

I only do short journeys but check the app every 3 or 4 days to see how full it is, then go for a 10-15 minute blast when it gets to about 95%.

• Like 1