Emissions warning light

It is quite a while since I have posted, but I am a regular visitor to the site to keep up with what is going on.

I have a S3 220TSI which I bought new in October 2016 and I am delighted with it.  Today, I had the (amber) emissions warning light come on about 60 miles from home.  I pulled over and took (another) look in the book and it said that I should go to the nearest dealer and get assistance, or words to that effect.  It said that I may notice a reduction in power.  As it was after 6 o'clock I drove home carefully but certainly did not notice any reduction in power or any other detrimental effects.  Once before (a few weeks ago), I noticed that the light stayed on on initial start up.  I shut the engine off and by the time I had looked in the book and started the car again, the light had gone out.

Anyone else experiences this problem?  Does anyone have any ideas?  The car is still under warranty, but I am not a fan of any Skoda dealer within 200 miles.

Any help appreciated

How many miles has it done, what servicing has it had, and when was it last serviced.

Has it had the air filter changed, checked, the spark plugs, or anything more than Oil / Filter and look sees?

Where in Scotland are you that no Dealership you are a fan of within 200 miles?

There are good Dealership Workshops and Techs, maybe say where you are and someone can suggest ones, that are not a Arnold Clark, Parks or West End Garage.

Edited by Skoffski

Thanks for the swift replies.

The car has only done 14800 miles and has had the 1 and 2 year services carried out.  The first one by a Skoda dealer (after a year), and the second by a local VAT registered garage (owned by a friend) cos I had a stroke and could not drive far to the nearest Skoda dealer.  That was after 2 years (last October)

I live in Elgin, which is 40 miles East of Inverness.

If it is not too expensive, I would rather get it done locally.

The car is never thrashed

Pilkers

Edited by pilkers

So not much done at 1 year or 2 years, Just Oil / Filter and look see, maybe not a Air Filter, if it was at Arnold Clark almost certainly not.

Call out Skoda Assist when the light is on to get the codes read if any, even recovered to a Dealership and get a Courtesy car.

Hawco Volkswagen were good. No idea now. If i was paying that where i would go.

I would not be wanting to go to Arnold Clark in Inverness, but you want the Warranty to pay if a Warranty Issue, and you need the codes if any read.

If you ever want a good garage & an away day i can recommend  Victoria Garage Maud.

They can do Warranty Work.  (56 miles away.)

http://victoriagarage-maud.co.uk

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

Hi Skoffski

Thank you very much for your help.  How come I have lived in Moray for over 35 years and never heard of Victoria Garage Maud.  I was also not aware that there were garages that did not sell new cars, that could do warranty work and were Skoda authorised repairers.  You live and learn!

I have just spoken to a man at Victoria (Mike?), who could not have been more helpful and reassuring.  He took the time to speak to me and I have booked my car in for next Thursday to get it diagnosed and hopefully fixed.  I told him that if I need to leave the car while they get parts, I would not take a courtesy car, but would use the bus (one of the few advantages of being old is the bus pass).  He said no problem if necessary, we will give you a lift to the next village which has a good bus service.  This is so different to your usual dealer.  I certainly get a warm feeling having spoken to him.  I will certainly use Victoria to look after my pride and joy in the future.  I will keep you informed.

Briskoda proves its value yet again.

Pilkers

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update

I took my car to Victoria garage in Maud having previously made an appointment (only had to wait a couple of days).  Arrived at 1015 (the appointed time) and the car was taken straight through to the workshop and was put on the diagnostics computer.  Within 10 minutes the technician (a real one!), came back and told me the problem was a defective lamda sensor.  They did not have one in stock, but would order one from Skoda, which would be there in a few working days.  In the meantime, the car was safe to use and it would not do any damage.  Due to Easter, and my availability the first time I could take it in was last Monday (29th April).  No problem sir, can you make 1015, leave it with us for about 4 hours and it will be fixed.  For the first appointment I was in the garage for about half an hour.

Went back on the appointed day, where a car was waiting for me if required.  As I am a keen walker and it was a nice day, I took the opportunity to walk the old Dyce to Fraserburgh railway line to Stricken in the sunshine, so did not need a car.  I arrived back at 1430 to find my car fixed and all parts, labour and connection to the diagnostics covered by warranty.  Cost to me £0.  Excellent service from Mike and his staff, delivered as promised and with a smile.  An extremely professional and efficient Skoda garage.

Thanks to Skoffski for putting me on to Victoria Garage at Maud.  I know where my car will be going for any work and servicing in the future!

Pilkers

• Like 4