Clutch on floor ... again

I can't get it into gear unless I pump the clutch. Does this mean air in the system or failed component? Background is I recently (just before Christmas) had new clutch and slave fitted. Also last weekend had new brake fluid - coincidence?!? I am taking it in next week for checks but just wanted to pick your brains.

Sounds like air in the system after brake fluid changed. The clutch shares the same fluid as the brakes, but on a different circuit.

If the new clutch was fine before the brake fluid change, and now it's giving problems, evidence suggests the fluid change is the culprit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Well, my first (and cheapest to fix) thought was also that the clutch needs bleeding. The alternatives seem to be a failing slave (more likely) or master cylinder.

Oh god I hope not slave, I literally just had that done, suppose the clutch master might have gone fubar. Let's hope it's just air in the system. I was able to get the clutch back my pumping when it happened.

Just now, vRSWitter said:

Oh god I hope not slave, I literally just had that done, suppose the clutch master might have gone fubar. Let's hope it's just air in the system. I was able to get the clutch back my pumping when it happened.

In that case almost definitely air or master cylinder. It used (1970s) to be very common for the master to go within a year or so of a slave replacement.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

In that case almost definitely air or master cylinder. It used (1970s) to be very common for the master to go within a year or so of a slave replacement.

Really, how so?

2 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Really really. The best theory I ever heard was that the fresh slave put more strain on the worn master cylinder seals.

I guess that makes some sense.

My 2010 plate diesel VRs had the same problem,they renewed the slave cylinder and 3 days later it went again,got a call out and into a different garage,replaced master cylinder stopped it reoccuring,fluid seeping around the piston seel so i was told hence pumping could sometimes bring it back up but it wouldn`t last,i was also told there was a master cylinder kit for this but not sure so don`t quote me.I done another 20000 mls without it happening again then sold the car,i`d check to see if there is a kit for it first...oh yeah nearly forgot to say i`d just had a new clutch 3 months before the slave cylinder renewal.

• Like 1