New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..

Ootohere

@wyx087 Cheers.

I am not getting an EV to save money or save the world.   I would get another LPG V8 for that.

But a weeks lease is less than i usually pay just on Petrol or Diesel.

& i some routes i drive are during the night.

I will plug in and charge slow if not using the car.

Fuel money saved on trips over a few days will pay for the B&B's and the car can charge free overnight.

I am just getting one to have fun on great driving roads that a small warm hatch can be fun on. Point and squirt.

I love Karts & Dodgems.

100 miles driving spirited in a warm or hot hatch needs about 14 litres minimum fuel at 125 pence or so for Super Unleaded, =£17.50.

So Rapid charging is a saving on that. 

The issue is that Rapid Charging is available near Great Driving roads which are not Trunk Routes.

The Scottish Government want the road through the heart of Scotland to be the Electric Highway.

So they need to move their butts and get the chargers in, and any already there fixed the day they go wrong.

Getting Ploughs and gritters on the go would help as well.  Maybe remember there is a Scotland north of the Central Belt /Perth.

http://zap-map.com/first-electric-a9-points-go-live/

http://chargeplacescotland.org/electricA9

If tourists are to be catered for there is more than up the A9 & the North Coast 500.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 2

I was very impressed with the number of chargers in Scotland on our recent holiday. This made me realise that long trips would be no problem with a 250+ mile range car. The electric A9 looks a great project but I'm surprised they are installing 50Kw rapids, rather than the newer 100Kw or 150Kw machines - those would make stopping almost like a petrol stop and make the A9 a piece of cake by EV.

Sorry to wander off topic..... Looking forward to you documenting the experience of EV use.

EDIT: Love the snow roads video you just added. I recognise many of those from motorcycle trips up to Scotland, being guided by some local friends.

Edited by Luckypants
  • Like 1

Hope i have my Corsa in time for VIVA Vauxhall meets France @ the Crail Thrash on 5th March.

Just to get a print out of an actual 60 foot time. 1/4 mile time and also see if 93 mph is the max it will do...

http://crailraceway.co.uk/wp/event/viva-vauxhall-with-performance-vauxhall/

If not i will need to see if i can borrow a Porsche Taycan, or more likely an e-Niro...

Edited by Roottootemoot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2020 at 21:02, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@domhnall  The car was on its way to the dealership for 2 days after the lockdown so still at a compound  someplace.

I am pleased i never got it and am paying not to drive it. 

Charger is installed ready.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

yes all good here George, just enjoying looking at this while I can't drive it. Still there is a pyament holiday onthe EST loans for now. 

IMG_20200425_155536906.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A nice New Filling Station, Charging Hub, HGV Parking, restaurant & retail outlets are well underway at the side of the A90 on the outskirt of Forfar.

Near the Chargeplace Scotland free EV charging & the Angus Council HQ, Marston's Restaurant and the the busy McDonalds and the very quiet up to now KFC.

Forfar Country Park / Loch is just a short distance away to pass the time as the car charges.

DSCN5350.JPG

DSCN5347.JPG

DSCN5349.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

There is a very good charging hub at Crosshouse Athletic Arena Kilmarnock. Lovely canopy covers which is just as well as torrential rain.   Earlier at Perth Park and ride yet again Tesla drivers are occupying the Free CHargePlace Scotland chargers rather than using any of the 12 they would be paying to use.

DSCN5431.JPG

DSCN5434.JPG

DSCN5427.JPG

DSCN5437.JPG

DSCN5439.JPG

DSCN5344.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 21/08/2020 at 10:09, e-Roottoot said:

Earlier at Perth Park and ride yet again Tesla drivers are occupying the Free CHargePlace Scotland chargers rather than using any of the 12 they would be paying to use.

☺️And why wouldn't they?

• Like 1

@Luckypants

I would do the same. 

Until ChargePlace Scotland, Perth and other Local Authorities so Tax Payers pay for them to use the TESLA Chargers sitting unused while those that can not use them have to queue for the only ones that they can use.

Perth & Kinross Council even have Chargers that are installed and in a busy car park where many tourists to Perth go turned off.

South Inch Car Park.

http://www.zap-map.com/locations/perth-charging-points

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Edinburgh and area is a real fiasco trying to get the use of rapid chargers.  So many Black / white hybrid range extender cabs sitting charging even when the charger speed is really slow.

I've tried speaking to them aboiut that, they claim they need to get to 100%. Selfish morons. As  a tesla driver if I was at Perth and a leaf or corsa needed to charge I would move. But I have paid my £20 a year same as they have so I am entitled to use the chargers

• Like 1

I agree you have paid the £20 and should be able to charge just the same. But I think that you should be able to use Tesla chargers as well at tax payers expense.    Of about 7 hours spent at Perth park and ride charging I have seen only 1 Tesla charging up at the 12 available chargers.     I forgot to check out the Forth visitor centre chargers today as I read they have been out of order for 3 months so will check tomorrow.  I have used the Hermiston park and ride a few times now as anyone on chargers have been friendly and chatty and not been greedy about just charging to what they need or moving to another charge type.

Edited by e-Roottoot

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

The most ridiculous thing is there is no tripometer.

I am sure that I watched a video recently where they found the hidden trip meter, although if memory serves it could only be displayed while charging. I think it was Bjorn Nyland (Teslabjorn on youTube) range test video, but don't quote me! Don't have time to find it right now.

@Luckypants the percentage of charge and speed charging can only be seen when charger is plugged in and the drivers door is opened or shut or the car switched on and off which is rediculous.   I am sitting charging now as just done 130 miles north from being charged to 98%.  I arrived with 40% and it will be about 40 mins till back and 98% and 200 plus range.   I am using an app on my phone and a Garmin watch to easily set trip. The My Vauxhall app knows everything the car is doing as far as each journey, times, charging, speeds and that is what I use as to check on the car, get alerts as to nearly charged and I can scoot off on my bike and know I can get back soon enough to let others charge. There is an app that gives others your number to text to see you long you will be charging.    No hidden trip on the Corsa electric, just a millimeter and a count down on the range.

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@Luckypants the percentage of charge and speed charging can only be seen when charger is plugged in and the drivers door is opened or shut or the car switched on and off which is rediculous.   I am sitting charging now as just done 130 miles north from being charged to 98%.  I arrived with 40% and it will be about 40 mins till back and 98% and 200 plus range.   I am using an app on my phone and a Garmin watch to easily set trip. The My Vauxhall app knows everything the car is doing as far as each journey, times, charging, speeds and that is what I use as to check on the car, get alerts as to nearly charged and I can scoot off on my bike and know I can get back soon enough to let others charge. There is an app that gives others your number to text to see you long you will be charging.    No hidden trip on the Corsa electric, just a millimeter and a count down on the range.

you do know I presume that you will charge much faster if you keep it between 20 and 80% george? In most cars the time taken to get from 80 to 100 is loinger than the time from 20 to 80

ARe you in the Scottish EV drivers club on facebook?  great source of info and folk would love ot hear your experience with the corsa I am sure. Have you got wattsup on the phone? best way to locate rapids

Edited by domhnall

I am back at Hermiston park and ride before going south. I charge to 98% before hitting the road or to 100% putting in the last 2% at home usually.  Today I charged in Aberdeen before heading back to Edinburgh.  A White Tesla came off the charger as he was finished and just sitting on the phone.  Lovely to Perth / Glenfarg then torrential through Fife.

• Administrators

If only you knew the future... last aug I brought the superb, she's not done much. Then in Oct we had a bit of a life changing medical thing going on... spin forward to today and a camper van is very much on the cards for flying isn't; not covid related.  So iceland by boat from denmark :) etc. But that leaves me somewhat in a pickle on the superb as it's sort of useless in the sense it won't be doing those trips. So my mind wandered to ev, partly as there is still an incentive and for local trips <70miles it kind of makes sense. Then I found out the ev grants had been cut...

Then I found out ev van grants are 8k :) 

Given it would just have a dog, bik, or climbing kit in the boot, I thought small ev van... job done. 

Except there's hardly any and the one I saw locally the nissan, has like a 140 mile range. Which is still ok, but not in comparison to the likes of the corsa/leaf.  

Certainly an interesting game of mental chess I'm playing :) Heading north I'd have to say I'd be happier on petrol/diesel, thinking those day trips from fort william to skye ;) or go up the west coast to egol and beyond.

Really can't work out why none is doing the hybrid as the engine being a mobile genny.

1 hour ago, ColinD said:

If only you knew the future... last aug I brought the superb, she's not done much. Then in Oct we had a bit of a life changing medical thing going on... spin forward to today and a camper van is very much on the cards for flying isn't; not covid related.  So iceland by boat from denmark :) etc. But that leaves me somewhat in a pickle on the superb as it's sort of useless in the sense it won't be doing those trips. So my mind wandered to ev, partly as there is still an incentive and for local trips <70miles it kind of makes sense. Then I found out the ev grants had been cut...

Then I found out ev van grants are 8k :) 

Given it would just have a dog, bik, or climbing kit in the boot, I thought small ev van... job done. 

Except there's hardly any and the one I saw locally the nissan, has like a 140 mile range. Which is still ok, but not in comparison to the likes of the corsa/leaf.  

Certainly an interesting game of mental chess I'm playing :) Heading north I'd have to say I'd be happier on petrol/diesel, thinking those day trips from fort william to skye ;) or go up the west coast to egol and beyond.

Really can't work out why none is doing the hybrid as the engine being a mobile genny.

I have a tesla model 3 (just started a thread on that) but for holidays I have a T6 camper van from Jerba Camper vans. Highly recommend them. This is my 2nd Jerba. EV is there now for cars, but not yet for leisure vehicles. Fine for vans delivering in cities, but not for campers. VW will get there soon though. 

Edited by domhnall