2011 Scout rear Spring replacement

Hi all

Had a loud BANG! yesterday from the rear of my 2011 Scout. Turns out it was one of the rear coil springs - one of the rings snapped! :sadsmile:

I phoned Skoda Service Centre in Camberley and was told the correct spring for this vehicle is: 1K0511115DK

Is it safe to drive around with the broken spring until I can replace it?

Does the replacement need to be a genuine Skoda part (£85) or would a part from somewhere like Europarts be OK (£45)?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

Replace them as a pair, it will have been a fatigue failure and the other side is likely to follow, also its almost certain they will both have sagged and replacing one will screw around with the level and ride height.

Use the part number on Ebay or google, I bought Swedish made Lesjofors springs for mine, I opetd for the heavy duty version as I carry and tow heavy loads, they cost less than €20 each delivered from Sweden.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Replace them as a pair, it will have been a fatigue failure and the other side is likely to follow, also its almost certain they will both have sagged and replacing one will screw around with the level and ride height.

Use the part number on Ebay or google, I bought Swedish made Lesjofors springs for mine, I opetd for the heavy duty version as I carry and tow heavy loads, they cost less than €20 each delivered from Sweden.

Hi there, JR

Thanks for getting back to me on this one. I've subsequently had some discussions with people who fit the springs. They will not fit them unless I buy the springs from them. :/

Good idea to replace both - the only issue is the cost. If I'm not going to buy the springs privately then we are talking about a quoted £90 for the spring and over £100 for the labour to fit it PLUS VAT. Good grief! I don't mind supporting local business but my goodness that sounds high.

The rest of the spring would have bounced back into the groove I'm thinking... Mmmmmm perhaps that means I can drive about a bit before taking the plunge and getting the spring replaced. I have an appointment with a local garage to replace the spring next Thursday. The question is can I drive it like that as long as I'm careful over speed humps etc.?

What do you think?

Cheers

Chris

Simply look at the ride height and decide.

Many people never know they are driving on broken springs, many CT tests in my country only list them as an advisory.

I can not think of a simpler job than rear spring replacement on the Octavia, they want their cake and to eat it but most garages are the same, surprised they have not said that you need to replace both, maybe they are saving that for when you go to collect a soon to be lopsided vehicle.

Thanks, JR

It's kinda left me with a predicament. Do I take it to the Skoda Service Centre and pay the extra or just take it to the local bloke who is going to fleece me almost as badly as the Skoda centre?

Aaaarrrgh!

I thought I'd picked up a stone whilst going through roadworks on the M74 when i heard a bang and rattle rattle. Found out 3 months later during a service it was actually the OSF coil spring that had gone. Got it replaced via Škoda as you get a 2 year warranty.

I learnt my lesson after I had the OSF droplink replaced at ATS as they were half the price of Škoda. Both it and its replacement (under warranty) failed at less than 12 months and 12,000 miles. The one fitted by Škoda has been on for about 3 years now. 

Take from that what you will. 

Just found my bill for the Lesjofors Swedish steel springs, €56 so around £50 including DHL delivery for the pair, a leisurely 15 minutes per side fitting.

Got them from Qparts24 in Germany

http://www.qp24.de

Or from their listings on Ebay.de, might even list on Ebay UK as I found them on Ebay France.

Pretty sure that mine are Scout spec springs, part number 4295088

13 hours ago, marfrohun said:

To be fair, rear springs on an Octavia of the era are super easy to change. If you're not too confident with your mechanical skills, watch a YouTube video on it you'll see it's very easy.

Agree, at least for the 'normal' O2. If I remember correctly you only have to remove 1 bolt/nut.

I've installed my helper springs, took me about 15min/side.

See for example this video. You only need 2 jacks, or 1 jack and axle stands. I did it on the street, used my spare jack (the one which came with the car) to lift/hold the spring while removing the nut/bolt, and after installing the new spring to jack it up so  I was able to fit the bolt back.

Not completely sure about the Scout tho.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/04/2019 at 16:17, kenwardc said:

Good idea to replace both - the only issue is the cost. If I'm not going to buy the springs privately then we are talking about a quoted £90 for the spring and over £100 for the labour to fit it PLUS VAT. Good grief! I don't mind supporting local business but my goodness that sounds high.

My local mechanic charged £30 to fit rear springs on my Scout. 

Mark

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It's great to know there are so many people willing to help.

Turns out that Car Store (part of the Evans Halshaw Group) treated our issue as a Warranty issue even though the car is an 11 Reg with 86k miles on the clock. They got me to take the car to their Reading, Berkshire centre and they fitted the correct spring to the vehicle. She is perfectly level and rides like new. Brilliant service from a used car dealer. Nice one!