Good afternoon, i hope you are all enjoying the weather for this long weekend. A quick question, i have looked on the Skoda website but not found an answer (maybe i am being a biff and missed it). My car had its first service in August 2018 a year to the day of its DOFR. The service section in the car has never updated and now the car is saying it needs an oil service. It has covered about 5k since the service and and i have been getting about 800 miles to a tank so its not like i am battering it around and working it hard. Is the oil service separate from the yearly service or is this something to do with the car not being told it was serviced in August???

I cant help but think there is something not quite right.

So was your car on Fixed Servicing, and 372 days 9,400 (10,000 miles) to first service, and then not reset to 372 days / 9,400 miles til the next.

Or was it on Variable, so 24 months / 18,500-20,000 miles and serviced early at 12 months and the Service indicator never reset by the technician?

I have no idea. It was an ex management car, run by someone at Bentley in Crew so i will assume that it was on whatever it was set to from the factory. Is there anywhere on the car that will tell me the answer to your question?

?

How many miles has it done in total?

Sounds like it maybe got a Service / Oil Change & Filter Service and the Service Indicator was left set as Variable as it was from the PDI.

Or just someone messed up.

Best have a Oil & Filter Change done.   

& the Service Indicator set to fixed servicing if you are not doing high annual milages. Then you will know what is what.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Edited by Skoffski

its covered just over 15k, it was registered in August 2017. I have 2 year service plan that they gave me when i got the car so id rather save the second free service for August when its due a bigger service. If it need the oil service doing then ill pay for that but i'm wondering if the car now thinks its due the "first service" if its been set to variable because it was not reset after the service in August 

48 minutes ago, TheGingerOne said:

I have no idea. It was an ex management car, run by someone at Bentley in Crew so i will assume that it was on whatever it was set to from the factory. Is there anywhere on the car that will tell me the answer to your question?

If you press Car button then go into setting you should be able to slide the right side down to servicing. Tap on that and should give you the info you are looking for. My Octavia was purchased in August 2017 also but as most Skoda's was set for variable servicing so went 18,500 miles before having its first service. I paid for 2 services and the 1st MOT with a Dealer specific service plan. The second service just adds some filters instead of the oil change on the first service. Brake fluid changed at 3 years then every 2 years.:thinking:Personally think the computer was not reset after your first service. Should allow you to go to at least August 2019 until it requires more attention.:o

@TheGingerOne

Does your Service Plan not require the car to be on Fixed Service Intervals, so every 12 months / 10,000 miles. a Minor and Major Service as they call it?

Oil & Filter changed each time.   Pollen / Cabin filter is due at 2nd service, or at first Major Service if on Variable.

A First Major Servicei@ 24 months is not like a 2nd Major service, @ 48 Months the Air Filter should be changed, and the (diesel) Fuel Filter, also Pollen Filter. 

and for Petrols the Spark Plugs replaced.

I have jest been out and had a look at the service section in the car. It states that its due a oil service in 117 days or 1k miles but there is nothing on there saying that it has been serviced already. A phone call to the service department will be happening on Tuesday morning.

36 minutes ago, TheGingerOne said:

I have jest been out and had a look at the service section in the car. It states that its due a oil service in 117 days or 1k miles but there is nothing on there saying that it has been serviced already. A phone call to the service department will be happening on Tuesday morning.

117days would make it August 2019 for the next service so perhaps they put in fixed 12 month intervals.:thinking:

The timing is spot on 12 months, but the maxi dot is saying it’s due in 1k, making it about 6k since the last one. I’m sure the service department will clear it all up. I assume service information can be added to the car at a later date so it doesn’t look like it’s missed the first service. What was wrong with a service book???!!! 

It was serviced by Marshal in Reading. I have had good experiences with them, apart from it being gopping dirty and having a glovebox full of bloke called Paul’s Bentley paperwork) but I know there are people who have had poor experiences. 

Is there no simply piece of paper with the in the form of an Invoice / Service Report showing Oil. Filter & Plug for the vehicle?

Easy for someone in the old days to stamp a page, put initials and a date. And fill in the Body Inspection report in the pages after each service page.

Even easier now for someone at a Service Desk to input a 'Service' as being carried out before delivery, not always meaning an oil and filter change was done, 

maybe just a topping up, 

and also show that the 'Rigorous Pre Delivery Checks' as done, , yet no oil change was actually done. No service done if not due.

The paperwork is nice to get , with a name next to initials.

Screenshot 2019-04-20 at 16.03.12.png

Edited by Skoffski