1.5 DSG DQ381?

Hi

I have done a lot of research on the above but can't find a definitive answer.

I *think* that the 1.5 petrol Kodiaq runs the DQ381 "wet" box, and not the DQ200 dry (even though it shares the same engine as the Superb, which does have the dry box).

Can any owners confirm?

Thanks

Basic rule of thumb for all VW Group is that if the max torque of the engine is 250NM or less then you get the 'dry' 7 speed DSG and anything over 250NM will get the 6 speed 'wet' version or more recently the 7 speed 'wet' version.

For instance when Skoda fitted the 1.8tsi limited to 250NM max torque in the Octavia FWD versions then it got the 'dry' and the same engine raised to 280NM in the 4WD versions got the 6 speed 'wet'.

So unless the torque for the 1.5tsi you are looking at is rated higher than 250NM max torque it is very unlikely to have the 'wet' box.

Update: I just found an exception to 'the rule' in that the 1.4tsi 4x4 Yeti sold in Australia had the 6 speed wet box fitted. 

Edited by Gerrycan

31 minutes ago, xspartx said:

Thanks Gerrycan, I appreciate that, but there is a lot of conflicting information on the combination of the Kodiaq and the 1.5tsi  engine with the DSG.

Some say DQ200, others DQ381

Yes there has been some dispute in the forum because Skoda marketing blurb is not really definitive on what type of DSG 7 speed box is fitted.

Even motoring journalists sometimes get confused and I suspect most car salesmen will tell you anything you want to hear ( is there a 'sarcasm' emoji?)

However the 'dry' box is lighter and more fuel efficient and cheaper to make so is the preferred box for less powerful engines and simpler 2WD by the manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure that those dispute threads finally resolved in following the general 'rule' I gave before. I take it the 1.5tsi Kodiak you are looking at is just FWD?

I like the VW group smaller engines for their performance and economy but I'm not so keen on the 'dry' DSG so when they remove the manual option entirely as they have done already on some models sold here in Australia, then they will lose me as a customer.

Update AGAIN: I did not realise a 1.5tsi AWD Kodiak version was available so that may well have the wet box fitted

Edited by Gerrycan
Update

Found this on a Karoq press release.

"There are two automatic 7-speed direct-shift transmissions (DSG) available. The dry-clutch version
of the DSG is available exclusively for the two-wheel-drive variant.
A 7-speed wet-clutch DSG, which is capable of higher levels of torque, is used for vehicles with allwheel
drive. Its temperature control is provided by a heat exchanger that is connected to the
engine’s cooling system."

As the FWD Karoq has 1.0 TSi 115 and 1.5 TSi 150 engines, and the 4x4 petrol Karoq is a 1.5 TSi 150, I'm thinking it will be the same in the Kodiaq.

Stumbled across some specifications including gear ratios for the kodiaq and Karoq 1.5 DSG. The kodiaq is 381 and the karoq is 200

https://cdn.skoda-storyboard.com/2016/08/TD-KODIAQ-en-2.pdf

note the description of the gearbox

https://cdn.skoda-storyboard.com/2017/09/TD-KAROQ-en.pdf

Edited by PoloGaz
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, PoloGaz said:

Stumbled across some specifications including gear ratios for the kodiaq and Karoq 1.5 DSG. The kodiaq is 381 and the karoq is 200

https://cdn.skoda-storyboard.com/2016/08/TD-KODIAQ-en-2.pdf

note the description of the gearbox

https://cdn.skoda-storyboard.com/2017/09/TD-KAROQ-en.pdf

Well that put's that one to bed it seems.

Top of the class PoloGaz, and thanks.

Edited by xspartx