Front wipers fastest speed is slow...

Loranox

I found out in a recent downpour while traveling in France  that the fastest position of the wipers is not really fast compared to my other previous cars. It says in the manual that it increases with speed but not really. It sometimes increases for a few seconds when the car is going down a slope then falls back to a not really efficient speed. Has anyone experienced that? The car is new (2000 kms). Thanks.

Yes I had exactly the same.................on a 1959 Ford anglia 100E 3 speed  side valve with vacuum wipers.

3 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Yes I had exactly the same.................on a 1959 Ford anglia 100E 3 speed  side valve with vacuum wipers.

As you say they were vacuum operated from the inlet manifold. Open the throttle and the wipers slowed down!!

tom

Edited by Sanqhar
  • Thanks 1

If the car is moving and the wiper stalk is pushed up as far as it will go, then the wiper speed shouldn't change.

When in the 'fast' setting they'll only slow / stop if the car comes to a halt, i.e. at traffic lights. They'll then resume their fastest speed once you set off again.

If the wipers are varying in their speed whilst driving, then they're in the 'auto' position, so their speed is dictated by the rain sensor on the windscreen, the sensitivity of which is adjustable using the slider switch on top of the wiper stalk.

To summarise, if the wipers aren't clearing the rain fast enough, then move the wiper stalk all the way up. If this still isn't fast enough, then you're in a monsoon or a tornado, at which point the operation of the wipers will be the least of your worries :D

Thx for your answer silver1011. I thought the slider switch was effective only for the intermittent position. I'll try that out next time it rains here which should be soon enough :)