USB charger in 12V socket always lit

Hello,

My Kodiaq came with only 1 USB port and the rest are just 12V sockets. So I bought a high quality dual USB car charger with a led indicator. I have noticed that after I switch off the engine and lock the car, the led indicator is still lit. I am afraid this will drain my battery so for now I unplug every time, which is very inconvenient as I can simply forget to sometimes. Is this normal? Issue with the USB charger? any thoughts?

Thanks.

THanks MrTrilby, so keeping the charger in socket will drain the battery eventually? Would it be better if I get one without a led indicator?

Edited by Foudah

@Foudah You could test to see if all of the 12v sockets remain live. @MrTrilby may possibly be able to tell you, but easy enough to find out. (just plug your dual USB in to them) assuming you have more than one.

If they don't then use one that doesn't. You can get extension cables if necessary.

Imo the led light will take such little current that it is not a risk factor for a flat battery, certainly if the vehicle is used reasonably regularly.

It is possibly??? a fire hazard though, though again i think very minimal, especially if it is a quality one.

I have a solar charger plugged in all the time if not using it's output. (Octavia)

• Thanks 1

The car has a battery charge safety system, if the battery charge drops to a certain level, power to the USB ports is interrupted.

Better to order up the genuine Skoda dual USB port and have it retrofitted...

Image result for kodiaq usb port

Whilst you're at at it you should ask Skoda UK why they stupidly specified that UK models get only one USB port, whilst the rest of the world gets a minimum of two, often three...

Image result for kodiaq rear usb port

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/05/2019 at 20:17, silver1011 said:

The car has a battery charge safety system, if the battery charge drops to a certain level, power to the USB ports is interrupted.

Better to order up the genuine Skoda dual USB port and have it retrofitted...

Image result for kodiaq usb port

Whilst you're at at it you should ask Skoda UK why they stupidly specified that UK models get only one USB port, whilst the rest of the world gets a minimum of two, often three...

Image result for kodiaq rear usb port

Ooh. I used to have the 240v in my old seat and it was brilliant. Is that possible retrofit (I know it’s available as a factory order. The amount of times it’s come in useful is surprising.

i do like the double USB port too, but no doubt the cost at the stealer will be significant.

We need someone to try retrofitting the twin-USB ports into a UK car.

You'll notice from the pictures above that it is mounted on the opposite of the cubby hole on LHD models.

I wonder if the fitment would be the same if trying to mount the twin-USB ports on to the other side of the cubby hole (as per RHD models)?

• Like 1

I know one think and that’s the usb sockets charge slowly compared to a usb charger in the lighter socket .

retro fit could be tricky to have both usb working with media if the wiring is not there but should be easy straightforward for use as a 1 charger and 1 for media 

Unsure about the panel from lhd nothings impossible