2006 Skoda Roomster 1.9 TDI

Went out to the car this morning and car totally dead, couldn't even get in!

The car was MOT'd on Saturday, driven to the shops and parked up.

This is the first time since the weekend that I have wanted to use it.

The battery was replaced just before Christmas, nothing was left on and all doors and windows closed.

There was a new comfort pack put on last year, so I know that is OK. When I put the charger on the alarm went off, but would not reset without doing some fiddling with the key in the lock. Of course I can only get in via drivers door when it is 'dead' and when it does allow me to turn ignition on I get a constant flickering of the instrument lights and clicking sound.

Any ideas would be welcome, before I call an auto electrician. Many Thanks.

Hi Robjon,

That was my first port of call. All connections are tight and free from rust/ corrosion. Just trying to look at everything though, so thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 1

Hi Mavawreck, 

Yes, as Robjohn says, sounds like a major leakage of juice somewhere.

Stuff I've become aware of, which cause slow drain, are

1) The glovebox light, the switch is poor, many stay on when you shut the lid. Solution, remove the bulb and park it in the gearlever gaiter.  When I took the bulb out, it shorted and popped its fuse, luckily I have assorted spares, and the handbook told me which to replace. Under RHS of dash, pull-down panel gives access.

2) The hatchback/boot courtesy lamp switch is quite fussy, I've had the hatch latch adjusted, also adjusted it myself, as, on mine, the latch doesn't always engage without a decent slam, as well as doing this I always now peer in down the gap betwixt parcel shelf and trim to ensure the light has gone out.

3) I've had alternator diodes fail years ago, on Citroen Dyane and diesel Rover Maestro, on the latter, I went out to the car in the dark to retrieve something, found the red battery warning light on faintly, my regular garage diagnosed it.    Not sure how quickly that might drain your battery, but as yours is an early Roomster (what mileage?) that might be a possibility, good auto electrician would diagnose for you.  Not had this on the Roomster, or my earlier (04) Fabia 1.4 tdi.

The tiny red light telling people the alarm/immobiliser are on, uses very little at all.

Wondering whether the MOT people inadvertantly disturbed something?

Good luck fixing it!

Richard.