The Chrome grill surround is no more

So today i swapped the chrome grill surround for a Black one and it looks so much better,

Took around 30 minutes to do

The surround cost me £35 from eBay

aWfRzxQh.jpg

ESftiNth.jpg

8RGCyYLh.jpg

hkqyto9h.jpg

3Wb4n57h.jpg

qRYtQT3h.jpg

gcxjcl1h.jpg

• Like 2

The link looks good , i didn't realise it was a separate grill/surround. I'm going to wait till mine goes in for a bit of paint and get it sprayed as I'm not massively ok with just sending my Vin off to an eBay company.

5 minutes ago, Ash007ks said:

The link looks good , i didn't realise it was a separate grill/surround. I'm going to wait till mine goes in for a bit of paint and get it sprayed as I'm not massively ok with just sending my Vin off to an eBay company.

I've just bought it myself, been looking at it for a while, but never saw any actual reviews until this thread. And with only 4 left, thought I better had sooner rather than later.

At no point have I given my vin though.

Just now, Marshy33 said:

I've just bought it myself, been looking at it for a while, but never saw any actual reviews until this thread. And with only 4 left, thought I better had sooner rather than later.

At no point have I given my vin though.

weird at the bottom of the description it states that a vin is required, id be more inclined to get them in that case.

What tool did you use to remove the old one? I'm worried about damaging the car.

@ash007k I read that too, maybe @negaultra7 could confirm as I literally only just bought mine.

Edited by Marshy33

8 minutes ago, Marshy33 said:

What tool did you use to remove the old one? I'm worried about damaging the car.

@ash007k I read that too, maybe @negaultra7 could confirm as I literally only just bought mine.

From looking online there are a couple of guides at doing it. Hardest way but the cleanest is to drop the bumper off, this will allow you to keep the surround intact.

Ive also seen a few people chop the surround in 5 or 6 places and then just pop it off. Im personally going to give plastic interior trim removal tools a try as they are soft enough not to damage the bumper.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ash007ks said:

From looking online there are a couple of guides at doing it. Hardest way but the cleanest is to drop the bumper off, this will allow you to keep the surround intact.

Ive also seen a few people chop the surround in 5 or 6 places and then just pop it off. Im personally going to give plastic interior trim removal tools a try as they are soft enough not to damage the bumper.

Yeah I'm going for the snap it into multiple pieces route, just wasn't sure if a plastic trim tool would be strong enough. 

Flat screw driver ,start from the top and work down the sides and dont be afraid to break the chrome one ,then the new one just pops back in place ,took me about fifteen mins in total its really easy ,and i never had to give my vin number .the link above is correct thats what i bought.

Edited by Mickvrs220
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marshy33 said:

I used these tools: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Blue-Spot-07925-Car-Trim-Removal-11-Pieces-Set/3031195714?iid=253989091555

And all i did was give them my registration to check it fitted before i ordered

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ash007ks said:

This is the link i used: https://www.dropbox.com/s/csix1uhhbrgqhhj/Octavia VRS Black Pack Grill Surround1.pdf?dl=0

And these tools: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Blue-Spot-07925-Car-Trim-Removal-11-Pieces-Set/3031195714?iid=253989091555

• Like 1

I used a very small cut of wheel attached to a dremel to cut the most accessible clips, then snapped the rest off using long nose pliers - took 10 minutes max

• 2 weeks later...